Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Heaven - what are we going to do? #34066 01/30/06 04:18 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
nabster's shout-out today </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i cant wait till we all get to heaven and worship jesus face to face</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">made me wonder about this.

I don't intend to generate debate and if you want to tell me Mormonisms version of the afterlife is wrong please do so in the Mormon thread.

I just want to know what y'all think we'll be doing.

nabster has already contributed that we'll get to worship Jesus face-to-face, but what else will we do? Or is that it?

I guess here's one area of traditional Christianity that I don't know much about. How will we spend our time for eternity?

please respond.

I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other— This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! -- Joseph Smith History 1:17
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34067 01/30/06 08:19 PM
NABSTER Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I KNOW WE GET TO EAT TOO! STREETS OF GOLD, WO WE CAN WALK AND STILL BE "PHYSICAL BEINGS". WE ARE TO HAVE PERFECTED BODIES, SO WE WILL STILL FEEL AND THINK, JUST DO SO IN THE ABSENCE OF ANY SIN.NO SICKNESS OR PAIN, NO TEARS. WILL WE SLEEP? I HOPE NOT. WILL WE HAVE EARTHLY THINGS IN HEAVEN, NO. NO TV, NO RADIO. NOTHING LIKE THIS. WE WILL FELLOWHIP ONE WITH ANOTHER, WE WILL BE IN THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD, 24/7.MY SMALL MIND CANT IMAGINE WHAT WE WILL DO, BECAUSE REALLY "TIME" EVEN BECOMES A NON-FACTOR...IT IS ENDLESS.
WHEN A NEWBORN BABY IS IN HIS MOTHERS ARMS AND ALL COZIED UP....TIME IS ENDLESS FOR HIM...NO OTHER CARES, BUT TO BE WITH HIS MOTHER.

Psalm 91
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34068 01/30/06 11:23 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
If we have perfected bodies, I guess competitive sports are out of the question because we'll all be evenly matched.

I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other— This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! -- Joseph Smith History 1:17
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34069 01/31/06 01:43 AM
NABSTER Offline
Disciple
Disciple
uhhhh, hmmmmmm, will I still be short and stocky?
my low center of gravity , if you will, will make for a tough opponent in the greco roman wrestling....

Psalm 91
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34070 01/31/06 02:37 AM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
I was thinking more like golf --- lot's of hole-in-one's

Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34071 01/31/06 03:41 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Depends on which sport you like - perfected bodies for poker may be very different from basketball wink

I have no idea what we're going to do in heaven... the Bible mentions praising, streets of gold, mansions - but forever is a long time, we'll have time to watch all 3 hours of King Kong at least twice tongue

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34072 01/31/06 01:28 PM
embie Offline
Queen
Disciple
Queen
Disciple
You know, the concept of eternity is really hard to get one's arms around truly, we are all so used to being somewhere at a certain time and concerned about what schedule has to be met. A few years ago my son Michael and I were talking about Heaven and the idea of eternity scared him a little. He said that's a long time mom, I have trouble being still in school for an hour. smile But as Nab said, I don't think that time will be as we know it. A second is a thousand years..., a blink of an eye, etc...

And I am clinging to the idea that we can eat and eat and eat and there will not be any calories or carbs or fats and my glorified body will be and stay a perfect size 6. yay (Either that or all of us will see each other as Shallow Hal did... laugh )

What about animals? I hope there's animals. Like those that you can only see now with bars between you. Wild animals that will then be tame and you can ride and hug, like in the Ark before they became fearful of man.

And what about the crowns? I thought that there's something about being given assignments and rewards in the New Kingdom based on how we lived our lives in this world?

(Allen, Steve and Joel, I'm such a nice person, I'll give you each one of mine so you don't stand out... tongue )

When I don't measure up to much in this life, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ.
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34073 02/01/06 12:42 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
tongue

I think I prefer a nice tie clasp instead of a crown, it may get in the way playing volleyball jumpy

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34074 02/01/06 05:24 AM
Echo Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I don't know if sports would be even fun in heaven because if we all play perfectly, how can anybody win? Mind boggling! chuckle

MEMBER OF THE WISCONSIN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN SYNOD (WELS)
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34075 02/01/06 02:42 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
So does nobody have any real idea of what it will be like?

Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34076 02/01/06 03:59 PM
SenorElMouse Offline
Disciple
Disciple
You're all thinking on human terms. Having "glorified bodies" and such. Heaven to me is something like this. Anybody here ever read 1984? In it, after the charectar Winston goes through pain and torture, he is allowed to rest. He says that there was nothing else that made him happier than being able to rest. That's how I veiw heaven. Every day on earth we have our ups and down, but in heaven, we will be able to rest knowing that its all over. Just simply resting will be enough, no more worries or fears. That's the greatest happiness of all.

As to weather or not we have bodies, I seriously doubt it. With bodies, we can still do sin and sinful things. With just our soul connected to God, we would never need to try to find a way to be happier.

I also wouldn't think that we have a brain up there either. With a brain, we'd always want more. We'd grow restless with jnust being connected, or even questioning to see if there is a way to get even happier. That why I believe it's just a soul connected to God, nothing else.

I'm doing a quick edit after reading Embie's post again.

In heaven, why would you need to be above others? Didn't God create us all equal. Also, when you think like that, you are having your glories on earth. But when you believe that you are doing good only to better everyone else, and not help yourself, that's the true reward.

To all of the evangelists that say "All the good you do on earth will be personified in heaven.". That's a bunch of crock. Have they ever been there? No. Besides, that's just telling people to go do good works only for themselves.

Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34077 02/02/06 04:26 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
Mormon take on Heaven - for informational purposes only.

As y'all know we believe we are literally spiritual sons and daughters of God. As such, maturing spiritually will allow us to inherit all that our Father has. This means, for us, becoming like God.

We do believe in a literal resurrection, the reuniting of spirit with a perfected and sanctified body.

We believe that man will be resurrected to a stage of glory with the ability to progress eternally. If we are found worthy through the merits of Christ, inheriting our Father's kingdom will mean participating in his ongoing creative work.

Here's where Mormonism gets really cosmic... We believe God has created worlds without number and that the creative work is one eternal round. As we are saved/exalted/resurrected to a celestial glory, we will work hand in hand with God for eternity in that work.

That excites me to no end.

Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34078 02/03/06 04:09 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
yes, but what will you do?

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34079 02/03/06 03:54 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
Whatever God asks. As God continues to create we will learn and grow to be more like him, because he is our father in a very real sense.

We will already be perfected in Christ, but we will not yet have a perfect knowledge of all things. We will learn and understand all truth, be that spiritual or scientific or some as yet unknown perfect combination of both. What God has will be ours as we are joint-heirs with Christ of God's Kingdom.

Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34080 02/03/06 04:15 PM
Echo Offline
Disciple
Disciple
You will be a God of your own planet,correct?

MEMBER OF THE WISCONSIN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN SYNOD (WELS)
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34081 02/03/06 05:21 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
Some may think, that, but others don't. There is no definitive statement to that effect - take it up in the Mormon thread.

Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34082 02/04/06 04:30 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
What scripture do you have that says what you'll be "doing" in heaven? The bible doesn't really get very specific either.

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34083 02/04/06 04:25 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
You're right, all I can find in the bible regarding heaven is that we will be resurrected and we will inherit all that our father has.

That's why I asked the question in the first place.

Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34084 02/04/06 08:06 PM
Crazy-like-a-fox Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I know what I imagine will happen on earth whether something joyful or a tragic it is never like that. I am going to say no matter what my mind can come up with will be nothing like the real deal.

Read Randy Alcorn books. He has the characters who go to heaven still learning. They go through their files so to speak and learn from it. Such as when they thought God did not answer their prayers. Actually they got to see how God answered and how they missed it. I really like his books. But this is only fiction. We will never know till we get there. No matter what it will defy words it would bend our earthly minds. Remember our minds our limited by what we experience.

I have read fictional books and heard others say it. We are the upside down world compared to heaven.

No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
Re: Heaven - what are we going to do? #34085 02/05/06 12:45 AM
NABSTER Offline
Disciple
Disciple
THE FLESH CANNOT UNDERSTAND ETERNAL SPIRITUAL THINGS. THERE ISNT EVEN "TIME" IN HEAVEN" IT IS ETERNAL, THAT ALONE IS DIFFICULT TO GRASP...

Psalm 91
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  foreverchanged, NABSTER 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 221 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18