Home

Christian Jam bands?

Posted By: thaartoflife

Christian Jam bands? - 02/10/02 11:02 PM

maybe someone can help me out, i am looking for christian bands similar to greatful dead, phish, wide spread panic, etc. do any of you know of any christian jam bands? i've been looking and havent found any.
Posted By: foreverchanged

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/10/02 11:19 PM

try P.O.D. (Payable on Death) I'll look up the websight and post it for ya...

Also, Pax(217?) not sure quite what numbers follow...um, the Benjamin Gate is kinda techno sounding, but they're sorta hardcore...I got an idea...

Be right back.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/10/02 11:26 PM

Try to email THIS little lady or go visit her websight and ask her a question in her guestbook. Tell her who sent ya wink (I've always wanted to say that lol). She is an expert in that area. If you don't hear back from her in a day or so, I'll do some research for ya...
Posted By: embie

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/11/02 06:22 PM

You might also wanna look at Sonic Flood and Audio Adrenalin. There's also the Supertones but they have a very unique sound...takes some getting used to smile

My fav is Third Day...they could be considered along the lines of the Dead...
Posted By: fOrGivEn_By_GrAcE

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/11/02 09:01 PM

Just depends on how hard you wanna jam. If you wanna go hard core, try Living sacrifice, Project 86, stavescare, etc. If you don't wanna go that hard, stick with Third Day (which is an incredible band), audio a. like what forever and embie mentioned.

I like all the flavas! meat
Posted By: Reich110859

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 11/12/03 02:17 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by thaartoflife:
maybe someone can help me out, i am looking for christian bands similar to greatful dead, phish, wide spread panic, etc. do any of you know of any christian jam bands? i've been looking and havent found any. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Posted By: Reich110859

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 11/12/03 02:24 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by thaartoflife:
maybe someone can help me out, i am looking for christian bands similar to greatful dead, phish, wide spread panic, etc. do any of you know of any christian jam bands? i've been looking and havent found any. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've ben looking too, have'nt found any. If you do find any please let me know. Some people from my church have done some stuff, not professional or anything, but its pretty cool. If you want a copy I could send you one- internet or cd- its 80 minutes long with 9 songs.
Posted By: Steve

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 11/19/03 04:54 AM

http://www.kentamplin.com/index2.html

He's a rocker!
Posted By: Allen

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 11/19/03 06:46 AM

hehe, those bands forever and cwg mentioned are pretty jammin too smile
Posted By: KristiAnn

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 12/14/03 08:18 AM

Try this link ~> http://www.christianradio.com/

Does anyone remember KLOVE radio Station?? I used to volunteer there and play the music in Santa Rosa, California, before they moved..

"Jesus is the Reason for the Season"
Posted By: faint image

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/01/04 03:00 PM

Hi guys, It's so nice to hear that you are interested in music that is inspirational, through instumental worship, along with Christian lyrics. That is just what we do. Our group, Faint Image, is a Christian jam band, with guitar and violin. We are currently working on our first cd and our goal is to finish it by spring. Our website is www.faintimage.com. but is currently under construction. Contact us at endure@wt.net.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/02/04 05:30 AM

Hey Welcome to the Cafe!

wavey

Glad to have you aboard
Posted By: Amy Lou

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/02/04 05:25 PM

Hey there Faint Image!! Welcome!! wavey
Posted By: billyjoeusc

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/06/04 05:14 PM

i don't think anyone really understands the term "jam band" it doesn't mean hard rock as in POD or Pillar or Thousand Foot Krutch. granted all the bands that you all have recommended are great, they aren't jam bands. i know because i have had the same question and looked around for quite some time for a christian jam band. jam bands are more improvisional bands. like phish, the greatful dead, wiedspread panic. they are mellow, very relaxing, they will play a song and somewhere in the middle they will stray from the written music and just JAM for a while. playing off the other musicians, it is really quite wonderful to see guys connect on that kind of level. anyway. if anyone has any information on a band like that. please....... i would love to hear about them.
Posted By: KristiAnn

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/06/04 11:00 PM

Welcome Faint Image and Billyjoeusc, we're all happy you've joined us!! laugh
Posted By: UnconventionalKrisChen

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/07/04 02:31 AM

billy, you may want to do a search for Jam Session. I haven't personally so don't know what the results will be but a jam session is what you are talking about. At least in the stone ages. lol
Posted By: baydog

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/14/04 06:32 AM

hey all. on the subject of christian jam bands. there are some really good bands out of the chicago area. one in particular being a band called "seeds" they are on a label called "grrr records" , you can access many good bands from this site. the web site for seeds is www.jpusa.org
god bless you
baydog
Posted By: Jusselin

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/16/04 04:04 PM

speaking of christian bands I am praying that God sends me a Guitar player...... I have been called to the ministry of praise and worship ...God blessed me with a great voice and now I need some musicians..........praise music ...examples would be mercy me or among thorns.....third day stuff like that...so if you play and your interested please pray and then get back to me......later
Posted By: ehockey2000

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/21/04 08:38 PM

Here is a band I would classify as a true jam band. They just came out with their 1st cd and it has 6 songs on it each lasting from 9 to 12 minutes. The name of the band is The Selah Project and the new cd is 10,000 times 10,000.

here is their website

http://www.selahministries.com/store.htm#
Posted By: Crawdawg

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/21/04 08:47 PM

hmmmm.are you perhaps in this band...lol
Posted By: Micah

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/30/04 10:15 PM

I have been searching for the same thing! A Christian Jamband. And let me tell you the search is over. The band's name is Waterdeep. You can check them out at www.waterdeep.com and you can download some of their live shows at:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Waterdeep

Unfortunatly though they are no longer touring and their last show is April 30th and May 1st of 2004 in Kansas City. If any of you live near there I would strongly suggest go seeing them.

Through their website you can also buy some of their live stuff and their studio stuff is awesome too. I hope this band blesses you all as they've blessed me greatly! I used to be heavy into Phish and other jam bands and into drugs. But through the blood of Jesus I am a new being. And my old desires are no more. Although I still long for some "good" music and thats when God showed me Waterdeep.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/30/04 10:52 PM

Welcome Micah! wavey I'll check the site out, they sound good smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/30/04 11:23 PM

Thanks Micah, and welcome!!! wavey

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/01/04 03:21 PM

cool beans ...welcome

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/05/04 11:38 AM

For anyone in the Nashville area, we will be playing at Rocket Town Cafe, on the 30th of July, and anyone in the Alabama area, we will be at the big underground concert, in Birmingham, on the 31st. Hope you can make it.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/08/04 08:14 PM

Cool, both great places jumpy

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/08/04 09:18 PM

Ooooo... I love Third Day!! jumpy

Hope it works out for you to get to go!!! jumpy

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/09/04 06:30 AM

Yes, great concert, thanks to haze for the most excellent birthday present hoppy

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/09/04 03:47 PM

Hey Allen, you have the same Birthday as my brother. It's a little early but HAPPY BIRTHDAY Allen.
Posted By: ericm

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/09/04 04:15 PM

Happy early birthday as well Allen!
Posted By: cbrown

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/03/04 06:30 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Micah:
I have been searching for the same thing! A Christian Jamband. And let me tell you the search is over. The band's name is Waterdeep. You can check them out at www.waterdeep.com and you can download some of their live shows at:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Waterdeep

Unfortunatly though they are no longer touring and their last show is April 30th and May 1st of 2004 in Kansas City. If any of you live near there I would strongly suggest go seeing them.

Through their website you can also buy some of their live stuff and their studio stuff is awesome too. I hope this band blesses you all as they've blessed me greatly! I used to be heavy into Phish and other jam bands and into drugs. But through the blood of Jesus I am a new being. And my old desires are no more. Although I still long for some "good" music and thats when God showed me Waterdeep.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/03/04 06:37 PM

I am a huge fan of widespread panic and other Jam bands. God has transformed me....I have opened up to many new types of music. Jason Upton is one of my favorites. He lets the spirit flow and does a lot of improvisonal stuff....but i still need some more good stuff. dont know much about the web posting stuff yet just need good advice from christians

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/03/04 06:40 PM

cool and welcome bro

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/04/04 12:30 AM

Welcome J wavey

I love Upton's stuff, he's excellent. If you are looking for great praise and worship stuff you can't go wrong with the passion www.passion.org or www.worshiptogether.com artists. Check out the A.W.E cd, one of my favorites, I think you can get it at amazon.

What other types do you look for?

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/04/04 03:43 AM

Preciate it,

God has completly changed the way I think. So things are different now. Im sold out for Jesus now and there is no party id rather be at. I just like good ole boy song writing and an acoustic guitar. I also a big Dave matthews fan.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/04/04 02:54 PM

That is so cool!!!

Welcome J!!! wavey

I'm a big DMB fan too!!! smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/04/04 05:52 PM

friggin awsome bro ham...i am happy for you bro...even though i dont know you ...i do know how exciting it is to be on fire like that.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/04/04 07:36 PM

Example, "friggin" going back to the swearing, cussing, cursing thread. Which of those is this? Is it sinful? You know what you'd have said instead before you were saved/got on fire. Does the word used change anything?

Not an attack. Just posted to that thread and came to this one. Immediately see a prime example of my very first query. I don't see "intent" for it to be anything but what it is. In my post in the other thread, I also used "rationalize."

At the very least, I don't think it appropriate to a site like this.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/04/04 10:41 PM

Tho I do realize people come here from a lot of backgrounds I kind have to agree Kris smile

J, if you like DMB, check out the Mercy Me and Lighthouse stuff, similar styles and as good or better professionally, but with much better messages smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/05/04 02:18 AM

"friggin" confused
Doesn't that just mean freaking?? Like, "I'm freaking out!" I've never thought of it as anything else!! That seems pretty innocent!! angel What do I know!! tipsy
Wasn't raised christian so I'm pretty clueless as to what is acceptable with other christians.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/05/04 02:26 AM

I have the Mercy Me cd, haven't heard of Lighthouse tho. I'll have to look for a cd of theirs!! jumpy

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/05/04 02:32 AM

Allen, believe me when I say, my mouth can be far from pure and clean. I have to watch it all the time. Amy, you're just so sweet!

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/07/04 04:03 PM

NE way back on topic.....Mercy me and Among thorns really rox....well the old among thorns...the new among thorns is pretty cool though
Posted By: rustjs1

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/14/04 01:54 AM

try michael james moore - you have to buy the cd on the web, but listen to it and see if you like it - cool acoustic, old school stuff

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/14/04 04:26 AM

Welcome Rust smile Sounds like a good CD, I'll look it up smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/14/04 02:31 PM

welcome bro...
Posted By: theoneway

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/26/04 04:45 AM

So, yeah, back to the topic at hand...I LOVE waterdeep, and while they are as close as I have gotten to a "Christian jamband," they aren't really in the Dead/Phish vein. Seeds are okay, but they don't jam really - they pretty much attempt to duplicate the studio versions of their songs when they play live. Madison Greene are interesting - tribal, earthy, acoustic, with hand drums, didge, violin, etc., but I wouldn't really call them a jam band either.

You might get into Phil Keaggy - he's an incredible guitarist who jams a lot; in fact, some of the stuff he did with the 2nd Chapter of Acts sounds almost Grateful Dead-like at times (odd fact: he's missing the same part of the same finger that Jerry Garcia was; he began playing guitar in 1965 - the same year that the band that became The Grateful Dead formed [although he's younger than those guys]!).

Also check out Mike Roe/the 77s . Besides being a pioneer of Christian rock, he is an avowed Grateful Dead fan, and it shows, even in his work with Lost Dogs .

***segueway***
I am looking to put a Christian jamband together myself. I have been writing prolifically for 10 years and playing guitar twice as long. I am passionate about reaching people in the Dead/Phish scene with the love of Jesus. If you are interested in this ministry, send me a PM. I would appreciate your prayers also.
Posted By: rustjs1

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/27/04 02:45 AM

Great stuff man - I checked out your links and that music is great
Posted By: theoneway

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/30/04 02:57 AM

Glad you dig it. I have certainly been blessed by these artists.
Posted By: loveblood

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 07/10/04 12:04 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ehockey2000:
Here is a band I would classify as a true jam band. They just came out with their 1st cd and it has 6 songs on it each lasting from 9 to 12 minutes. The name of the band is The Selah Project and the new cd is 10,000 times 10,000.

here is their website

http://www.selahministries.com/store.htm#
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey i work with selah ministries and the above mentioned band

if you would like to check them out you can visit
www.purevolume.com/theselahproject
Posted By: David

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 07/10/04 03:27 PM

Hey, cool site. Thanks for the links thumbsup

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 07/10/04 03:32 PM

oh, and I love phil keaggy, his album of spanish-style music is one of my favorites laugh

When you guys get a minute, please add your sites to the links directory:

http://www.praisecafe.org/ubbcgi/links.cgi

I remember the plan was to begin promoting it and the sites who link from/to it smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/13/04 10:36 AM

We recently got our new cd's back from the replicators. All new tracks with our new drummer.
If you're interested, email us at endure@wt.net.
We're a new-fusion gospel jamband, with electric violin, guitar, bass, & drums. A few weeks ago we played at Rocket Town in Nashville and at an outdoor outreach concert in Birmingham, and last weekend at Sam's Burger Joint in San Antonio. The response has been real encouraging.
Peace in Jesus,
the band
Posted By: Melissa

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/02/04 07:30 PM

I don't know if anyone mentioned this band yet but I like the band building 429 they kinda have that jam thing going in my opinion.
Posted By: NABSTER

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/02/04 08:59 PM

yesirree B429 is way cool. if you like edgy Indie rock, check out Dakona , they are a secular label band but it is obvious they are christian and they give God the praise.(kinda like chevelle.)
Nabster
Posted By: Farmhouse41

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/26/04 11:40 PM

Hey guys...I just recently discovered the wonders of God's love, but I used to be into the "jamband" community. I have since quit drugs and everything else associated with the scene...but still love phish's music. What is anyone's opinion about seeing live secular music in this genre? Is it wrong even though I don't partake in what I used to?

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/27/04 02:01 AM

cant say wrong, but if causes you to stumble in your new christian walk , you gotta get away from it. you will find that music brings back familiar feelings and habits that go with it. so be careful. the things you did while listening to jam music is deep within you becasue of the heightened state of being on drugas while listening. over time you will find christian music that will replace your old music. once you tap into real praise and worship music the stuff of phish just wont matter anymore. this all coming from a guy who was into zeppelin, pink floyd,
allman bros, stevie ray vaughn, even metalica and some of the grunge stuff. all i wanna do now is praise the Lord with my music and my voice. cant explain you will just have to experience it yourself. there aint nothin like the high that comes from a personal holy spirit encounter soul to soul...
nabster (musician as well)

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/27/04 03:07 AM

Just an AMEN to Nabsters advice, watch those stumbling blocks.

Welcome Farmhouse! wavey

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/29/04 05:14 AM

Welcome Farmhouse!! wavey I listen to both but mainly I listen to christian music. I just have this need to surround myself with God as much as possible!
Posted By: njuneardave

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/19/05 07:09 AM

okay, im new to this forum... i was searching for a place to buy the Selah Project CD and one of the sites showed the band's name mentioned in this thread. after reading through it, i couldnt help myself...i have to post this:

these are some absolutely awesome jam bands. they are ranked in order of my favorites:

#1) The Ramp Worship Band. This band is out of Hamilton, Alabama. There is a youth/conference center there run by Karen Wheaton. Here, the prophetic often flows and God's presence is so free. Their worship band CD is by far my favorite CD. They are a jamband (each song will last approx. 8 mins +), but the lyrics and passion and annointing on them is so incredible. you can get the CD here: http://www.karenwheaton.com/cms/estore/default.aspx?productid=134&details=1

If you want to find out about the ramp, go here:
http://www.karenwheaton.com/cms/page.aspx?pageid=144

i encourage you to check out the services when they play them on TV (look at the bottom of the page on the second link to see airtimes).

anyway, this band is INCREDIBLE. it almost feels like it brings an open Heaven to me everytime i listen to it.

#2) The Selah Project CD entitled "10,000x10,000. again, the lyrics and passion in this CD is unreal. go to the site that was posted earlier. just one listen to "be praised" and "pressing on" and you wont be disappointed. their musical abilities alone are incredible, but the desire and brokeness that they sing from is even better.

#3) Jason Upton. I have all of his CD's...my favorite of his would be "Key of David". incredibly annointed. You should check out his main site: http://www.jasonupton.com/
there is a playlist that will cycle thru some of his songs...they are great. look up information on his album "remember" and read what he has to say about the song "Fly". after reading the story and listening to the song, your eyes will fill with tears.

#4) okay, this one isnt so much of a jam band, but the music is so good i had to put it in here: Hillsong Australia's youth band: "United Live". Their newest CD "More Than Life" has some spontaneous worship in it, and its prob the most catchy album you will have in your collection. Also, the Hillsong album "All of Me" is the new one that they just put out, and its a superb CD as well....id highly recommned both of them.
Posted By: Haze

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/19/05 07:26 AM

Welcome njuneardave smile thanks for the links...great music...thanks for sharing jumpy

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/19/05 03:25 PM

Welcome njuneardave wavey
Posted By: spinster

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/19/05 06:38 PM

welcome other newbies. only been here a month myself. dont forget to sign guestbooks on those sites[I did]. sampled [world inside me], nice , mellow sounds. I like. [; i agree with Nabster about music brings back memory of old self, found that tb tru with me. Then I put it in storage or goodwill. really depends on what mind frame your in also, if more vulnereable to the memories. love pink floyds THE WALL. [;

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/19/05 09:58 PM

i was a pretty big secular music fan up until about a year ago... then God really layed on my heart to strive for excellence and do everything to the glory of God, so I consecrated myself to Him in the small areas of my life that i hadn't yet....which included music. i was a huge 80's fan actually...and it wasnt hard. there has been the temptation to go back and listen to the music, but i know that its not right in my own convictions. the only reason i gave up secular music was to "be in this world but not of it". not gonna take joy in things that arent of God. God gave those artists special abilities, and instead of using their giftings to give God glory, they are using them to get girls, money, and fame....but i dont think any of them realize it. =(

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/20/05 03:11 PM

it is sad, abusing good talent for worldly goods. seems so superficial. Ive seen singers in my other church, who like to hear themselves sing, ''hey, look at me''-instead of hey, listen to Jesus. my mom closes her eyes there, so not to be distracted by their stagework and just hear the words by spirit! THANKS for posting. still like some 80;s tunes, after screening lyrics. gotta be careful what i play on radio -even when driving, can be a bad witness and not know it. im more aware than before .

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/21/05 09:17 AM

oh if you like grateful dead, go get some don potter CD's....he sounds exactly like them

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/21/05 06:43 PM

SWEET! thank you. music depends on my moodage mostly, mellow vs jumpy etc. hehehe
Posted By: NODY

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 03/26/05 02:55 PM

Much like Farmhouse, I also found myself in the downward spiral of drugs in the jamband scene. It was nice to read that somebody is making the same struggle as I. I pray for Farmhouse, I pray that he continues to have the strength to make the right decision. It's a lonely scarry place once you realize where you are, its very dark when your in a hole. I still listen to phish, but love for music has never been about drugs, unfortunatly alot of there followers do them However, I am trying to surround myself with christian music as much as possible. I've grown to love jam music, jazz, singer song writter kind of stuff, and I'm having a hard time finding christian music in these genres. I did write down the advised musicians posted, but if anybody has any more, pleeeeease post them. Thank you very much! Peace
Posted By: ClingingtoMyRockEternal

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 03/27/05 08:54 PM

there are so many that I like... Relient K rawks ur face off... so does Switchfoot... Sister Hasel... Taking Back Sunday Delerious? Building 429 (I'm burning CDs right now...) David Crowder...
Posted By: yashuatree

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/17/05 11:40 PM

maybe someone can help me out, i am looking for christian bands similar to greatful dead, phish, wide spread panic, etc. do any of you know of any christian jam bands? i've been looking and havent found any. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well hello, my name is nathan dube, also a christian and a dead head and phish fan, first off i gota say to the readers of these posts, there is no reason to reject all secular music and going to secular shows is a great place to witness to the secular crowd and plus youll have a great band to relate to so chances are it can be a good topic to start conversation with, as far as christian jambands, after seeing that the spiritual side of the jamband scene is a fallacy, i am curently working on starting one with a new found freind who is also a folower of the lord, also i am working on writing a book about the chrsitian experiance with the grateful dead, and what we as a group ( chrsitians ) can learn for the scene and what dead heads can get from our presence in there scene, if anything, jesus would prolly be at dead shows using parables related to the mysticism of the music to ilustrate its psyic danger but would prolly have sympathy for the generaly freindly and "spiritual" folks who for the most part encapsulate the grateful deads fan base.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/18/05 04:19 AM

Welcome yashuatree rockband

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/18/05 03:50 PM

i think you misunderstood me, i know that there is a new breed of christian jambands forming out there, i def want to be part of that when i said "the spiritual side of the jamband sece is a fallacy" i meant that the secular jamband scene seems to have a set of ideals creativity, love, brotherhood, ofter you find buddist methology at play...all which is good and positve and are things christians can benefit from ptentiaing in their own lives, but that the secular jamband scene being based only on those things and with out the presence of the wholy spirit or rather an acknoweledgement of his workings ( because quite frankly i dont like the idea of every song by a christian artist being about jesus, when he was here he used parables and interesting ideology to explain his purpose ooposed to constanly say "i am this just belive it" ) the basic idea is that the band band scene especialy considering the wide range of ethnogens ( hallucinogenic drugs ) there is major spritual things goin on at those shows so yes my prior quote was not what i meant to say, but rather that, celebrations of the such without the presence of god ( although you wil find christians at these shows amoungst the masses) is empty and we should combine the ide of these awesome bands and lightshows and sense of creativity and apply the holly spirits messaage as its centerfold....kapeesh?

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/19/05 02:00 AM

kapeesh wink

Let us know how your band is doing smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/19/05 05:20 AM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PsyChrist/

copy and paste this link to your browser, this a group of christians I have been talking with, dont let their practice alarm you without first reading some of the posts here, as i am one of these "explorers" i can tell you i would never suggest anyone trying such things...but in my own experiance....life changing and one of the reasons i am still walking with christ today, i had some profound experiances that wer healing while some were direct wake cup calls from god about the existance of evil some of which i belive a lot of people could not handle or survive in some cases ( and i am speaking of mental abbiltiy to deal with the presence of evil within a heightned awearness of the spiritual realm ) which is why i dont condone these ideas if you are already a chrsitian what I hope to convey is that there is this part of the belivers who have found there way to or back in line with the walk of our lord by means of such substances I myself included some of us have seen tramatic things and need your love and support more than your riddicule for our experimentation, we may have some very good warnings insight about evil and good as well that you could benefit from. godbless, love for you all.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/19/05 11:39 AM

i will just say....psychedelics are MIND altering not SPirit altering. and a deeper relationsship with Christ will not come from drug induced experiences. that ia a false reality my friend. the whole jam band scene is about the moment and creating an atmosphere and a feeling. as deeper walk with Christ is about the Word and study and a relationship that is 24/7. Anything that puts you in a mood and a feeling that is NOt centered on Christ is emotoinally dangerous, mainly because it is false and induced by Mind altering drugs...yes i said drugs...natural or not .substances that alter reality are drugs....and the devils playground. You will not find the real Jesus Christ in shrooms or dope or x or acid or buttons of peyote or anything else. You will find him when you seek Him with all your heart.
nabster

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/19/05 06:21 PM

I agree with nabster when it comes to drugs. I am one who did the drug scene for a long time, and it took a traumatic event that turned me to Christ. Drugs are Drugs no matter how you look at them, and they do what they're suppose to do, and when you are on drugs you rationalize your actions much like our friend yashuatree. When you’re on drugs you’re more in tuned with everything because they heighten your feelings in a distorted manner. The only out come of drugs is a big black whole, sometimes its hard to decipher the difference between satins mask and Christ. Dont do drugs!!!!!! Although nabster one shouldn't generalize a jamband scene there is much to learn that does fall into Christs teaching at a jamband scene, that is hard to find else where. Not all people there are on drugs or in fact condone the behavior, there is alot of peace and kindness passed out at these shows, unfortunatly nothing in this world is perfect.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/19/05 07:06 PM

ok look i have been a chrsitain for sometime, and i totaly believ there are a lot of SECULAR bands that are awesome with a positive message that at least reverberates in the vein of goodness, bands whos memebers are actice in charity and spreading message of love, if all good things come from christ these shows are obviously not bad, and in fact a perfect place to witness to those who need it most, you ever notice how theres alot more chrsitians at a christian concert, which makes sense but geez the people who need the message ar at the secular shows!, I love phishs music and the grateful dead, and form meeting the bass player mike form phish i can tell you that he is a awesoem and freindly guy and i kow he has a sense of wright and wrong, but thats aside the point which is there is no problem like secular music as long as you reject the wicked aspects that surround it....in interviews trey ( the lead player in phish ) said that , they band knew that on the frindge drugs where more i mportatn to some poeple that the music, it is a samll percentage actualy due to the fact that most people pn the hallucunogens belive they are doing some sort of holy sacrament opening there minds to reality in some ways they are but its basicaly eating form the tree of the knowedge of good and evil. so i say enjoy phish the dead, what ever your into that is rooted in good ( and all good come form out lord ) and witness to your brothers and sisters, show them that both bands are just blind spiritual seekers taping into inspiration from god with out knowing his name the lord christ of savior jesus.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/19/05 09:58 PM

Secular music is not bad in and of itself.As a musician i still enjoy some secular music BIG TIme.
Going to Phish show to witness is awesome...but watch the temptations of the past creep into your life. If you are going to attend these psychedelic shows to shine the light of Christ you had better not only be a christian but be on fire fir Christ in order to stay strong. It is my opinion that your witness is where you are, your home, your neighborhood your circle of friends....not at a concert. you will be effective when your daily witness shows others who you really are. a chance meeting at a concert might well be a seed planted but think of the regulars who are around you everyday, and as a christian wonder why you are going to a concert where wide use of drugs is known fact. dont hurt your local witness to try and help someone you may never see again.
example....i go into a liquor store weekly to witness to the owner, what do those who see me going in and out think?? perception is reality...most of the time... think about it will ya?
nabster

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/20/05 06:48 PM

well see your wrong since phish and the dead have a cult folowing there are people form around the countrty i see every year at these shows and it is a place where one can be a a good example through christ....so yeah, you are wrong

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/20/05 08:36 PM

DIDNT MEAN TO OFFEND! go shine your light man, do your thing, but keep it real and dont suggest to yourself experiencing drugs will bring you closer to Christ.
Jesus hung out with a rough crowd on purpose to teach and show love of God firsthand. do the same. dont lollygag around or even beat around the bush,hit em hard with the gospel and let em see the changes in you. do not compromise your ethics, your faith, the word, or obedience to it.be absolutely unshakeable in the face of temptation. i will be the first to be rooting for you and praying you are EFFECTIVE in your witness.once again didnt mean to offend dude.
nabster

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/20/05 09:30 PM

well i plan to i am currently writing songs with an amazing guitar player, ( i play as well ) and i honestly belive with the whole band we will be a powerful voice, however our basic idea is to infiltrate the secular scene, we will be hopefully playing to secular crowds and amongst secular bands, how ever with in the lyrics, parables, verse form the bible all tied into songs that hopefuly with have a certain atraction to the philosophically minded, so that like i said before we will be planting seeds and as those people go through their daily lives in the months to come after seeing us, maybe a few of them will see the lyrics to one of our songs that moved them on the side of a Christian trucking companies big rig on the highway with a scripture on it, and then that seed growths, or maybe some other little event like that ( there are billions of possibilities ) with the seeds we plant we hope that other bits of truth along the listeners journey ca sues that seed to grow and for the light to be revealed to such persons through time. also i don't care what anyone says, psychedelics played a huge part in helping me find the lord, when i started using it i was falling away form my faith and by the end i was totaly bounced back towards his light, and the bad and good trips i had played a huge part in that, especialy the incredibly bad one, totaly changed my sourse, and there are alot of people come to the lord the same way, the only reason you dont hear as much about it, is because alot of us are afriad you christians who jump to condem us for doing such things.once again i dont thin anyone should try psychdeclics but i know that I am so thankful that i did and i belive it what was god used to get through to me and i know it does the same for others.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/20/05 09:41 PM

Also a big phish fan, actually they are my fav. I've been to over 30 shows. I don't see the problem in going if you understand why you are there. People all over this world do drugs, im certainly not going to lock myself in the house. Like i said there is alot of good comming from a phish show, but along with the good there is bad, it would be alot easier to get sucked in at a phish show then at a christian show. I say go to the phish show if you can see the good and feel jesus because he's there, but if you can't then you dont belong there. There are alot of christians there, actually there is a group (their name slips my mind) of drug free people that gather together at phish shows. The group ranges in the thousands, alot of whome are christians. I really don't think that you must have a "jesus is my homeboy" t-shirt on in order to go either. Enjoy music, don't do drugs and love jesus. peace, posternutbag

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/20/05 10:03 PM

look no one has the right to tell me not to do drugs ( althought i dont use psychedelics anymore ) i do smoke marijuana, however in the book of leveticus, homosexulaity is a sin comparable to eating pork or fish, and i am sure watching tv be up there to, i dont watch to much tv, but i bet you and alot of people here do,i bet alot of you eat fish, and pork to well guess what i smoke herb, that ones of my sins i guess, but before you tell me what not to do, any who is so bold to do so should take a look at there own life and maybe take there own advice on what not to do and do. also i smoke herb because it helps me i truly belive that, if you read some of the reports about paxil, zoloft and prosac, turns out those subastaces are harming a alot more people than helping them, so if i choose somthing i know helps me in a way i need, i dont need someone trying to tell me what i need to do with my life, plus becasue i know smoke is not good for the body i have found there are vaious recipes of food that can be used to ingest the plant material with out any detrimental effects.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/21/05 03:41 AM

i overeat,but it isnt against the law of the land. smoking dope is. dont even try to justify smoking weed with eating pork, that is so ludicrous it makes you sound as if you DO smoke weed, and were stoned when you wrote it.I think it is clear you have your own view of what it is to be a Christian. You , like many others have created your own "religion" to be comfortable and claim Christ. On the one hand you claim what a good witness you can be to those at a Phish jam and on the other you are gonna tell me(and others) you are gonna witness for Christ while passing a joint, or smoking a bowl? You humiliate Jesus to even suggest that. "yeah man God is great, Jesus changed my life forever....gimme a hit.... yeah man the love of Jesus is so real , you should repent and come to God, he loves you.....hold on a sec....cough cough cough....whoa head rush dude.. so, you wanna get saved or what? look at me, man i am a new creation the old me is gone and you are lookin at the new me....pretty cool Huh......
here I got the next bowl...pass it over here...
YOU ARE INSULTING CHRIST WITH YOUR WITNESS.Like it or not, justify or not, that is truth. You will find people on this web site who will pray for you and lift you up and encourage you, but we , at least I, will not sugar coat the truth. you need to get right with god.
BTW, there is more psychosis and depression with pot smokers , there is much more respiratory probs with pot smokers , there is blood pressure probs associated with pot smokers, dont tell me it is better for the body... yes, it reduces stress temporarily and gives euphoria temporarily, but maybe the cause of the stress should be addressed not the symptom itself.
As for you using scripture out of context, the Levitical book of old testament Jewish law, was superceded by the new testament and specifically when Paul said in Romans, do not call something dirty which God has called clean, meaning food items . Pork and other foods are not law breaking or defiling of the body. Now , for you to say i should not call sin a sin because i have sin in MY life is a lame excuse to try and run from what you know is rebellion and sin. I sin daily, I repent daily. I do not willfully sin. I mess up, thank God for grace right? There is a difference. So if you are committing adultery, because i sin, i am not to correct you? Hogwash. As christians we are to help one another not judgmentally, but in truth and in spirit. My last post was just that. Now , solicited or not, i am offering correction to you, the fact that i eat pork, or wacth tv, or whatever, doesnt mean i dont have the right to offer truth to you.I would be committing a sin of silence if I didnt, yashuatree. I call it like it is. If one thing i have said is out of line with the Bible, i will apologize publicly and ask your humble forgiveness.
Nabster

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/21/05 04:22 AM

ok first off you cna enjoy it with out smoking it, ie cooking it, secondly who are you to judge me, are you not sining in doing so? to me you seem self righteous, i dont want fight though i love you and i know chrsit, a lot christians smoke cigaretes which are proven to be considerably worse than herb, are they not wright with god, do you live with out sin YOU WANT ME TO CALL YOU OUT ON YOUR FAULTS? well i wouldnt cause i am not like that, and i dont want this, but just because you dont partake in the things i do, gives you no right to assume you know anything about my life, i have seen and experianced some things many dont, i dont calim to know more than you or anyone else, i know who i am and my walk with christ is not the same as yours, but your a sinner and have no right call me out as if you had the authority to do so, i am who i am, and i do my best, your standards have nothing to do with my life and my personal relationsship with christ, i am coming to this fourm and bearing my soul, i am and being honest, which i bet is more than i can say for you ( and maybe not ) either way, lets not fight, but please, lest you be jesus do not jusdge me.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/21/05 12:26 PM

I have spoken my peace, friend. I too smoked Herb, weed dope ,pot, whatever, everyday all day, for 10YEARS plus frown ...it is a complete waste of time.to speak truth is not to judge.i do not judge you. I will finish with this...a closer relationship with Jesus is found in the word, not the herb... slap

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/21/05 04:55 PM

ok look, first off i am trying to not smoke it anyore and to COOK with it ( no harmful effects ), also i dont smoke or use it in any fasion to get closer to jesus, i smoke it cause i have fought drpression for years, depression that things like prosac and zoloft made worse, herb is a blessing to me, and becasue i love my lungs i am going to try to cook with it instead, i use it as a valid medicine, after the pharmisuitical companys medicines did not work for me i found somthing that has, it truly helps me deal with life in the way prosac, paxil etc dont. i get closer to christ through the word, i get through my personal war with my soul through a medicine i KNOW works for me. also i never said tripping would bring you closer to christ in the senes,of :if you trip maybe you will comune with the very essence of the holy spirit, i do belive that after seen demonic spirits and supernatural aspects of life through the third eye being pried open that one can no longer deny the spiritual realm and therefor must realize religion has a purpose, secondly that since evil is such a predominant force in that realm that there must also be a ploar force of good ( christ ). at least thats what happen for me and i know god spoke to me through abd trip so that the drug wouldnt lead me astray. thanks for listening to me and know that i only look for christ in the word and fellowship with people like you guys, thansk for understanding if you do. love for you all, peace.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/21/05 05:43 PM

Biting my tongue here. God Bless you and I've found that experience is the best teacher. While using I never listened either.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/21/05 06:49 PM

i dont wish to delve into what me depresions stems from but what docters have said would work for have not, in fact the opposite, what i have found that works for me does just that, it works wonderfuly and i can say it is a lot better of a medicine than anything the drug companys try to sell on tv. maybe this isnt the case for ever one, but i know myself and what i have experianced. lets not talk of this anymore, becauuse obvioulsy our differences in experiance, deem totaly differnt opinions, thanks for your concern, but know that i am at peace and as for who ever siad you couldnt witness to some one while sharing a puff, two of my freinds about a week ago during a small smoke, expressed interest for the first time in years of me talking about christ about being christian, one my freind bill went so far as to inquire about geting baptised and what the whole meaning of it in its relation to a walk with god. i know that it was my example that brought them interest and not us smoking togeather, but thats where they asked, and now both are moving in the right direction. thanks for consctuctive critisims and sympathy, i am sure some of you out there have similar situations, love you guys, peace.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/21/05 11:50 PM

hope you hang around awhile....
nab

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/22/05 01:14 AM

OK... First of I know where you stand man... I don't smoke anything but I have downed a coupla Xanax and seriously struggled with drugs in my life. Currently God has released me of the chains they have on me and I'm so thankful for the freedom he has given me to share with others about all he's done in my life. Drugs are not in the Bible so don't even try to go there. They alter your mind and your perception to do things. Sure they make you feel good but they chain you to them. Do you like being chained to something? I for one know how easy it is to get addicted to something. You get hooked and you can't make it go away... not until you give it up to God. Honestly man you cannot get rid of this until you STOP trying to defend it and you say "Yes this is bad and it is wrong and I need to stop." and then you have to realize that only by God's help and grace can you.

"and a deeper relationsship with Christ will not come from drug induced experiences." this statement is completely correct. When you're doped up you're not in your right mind... you might "see" God but heck you don't know what you're thinking. The Bible says that whosoever "BELIEVES IN ME" shall not perish but have eternal life. That's the key... it's not going to come from the drugged up experience...

hoped this helped...
Rachel

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/22/05 05:49 AM

look you cant compare being in a xanex hole to smoking a joint or eating cookies made from herb, i told you I DONT USE HERB TO GET CLOSER TO GOD, I USE THE WORD,I use herb because after using anti depresant drugs perscribed to me by a doctor that made things worse i tunred to herb and found it compleatly helps my depression and i am not unmotivated ( i have already finished two years of college sucesfuly, i got a good job recently, i recorded an entire album doing all the instraments my self, ) i am not unmotivated, i dont see why using herb opposed to some white powder ina blue capsule taht the medical companys produced that have show to cause teen suicide in certain people ( prosac ). you cant tell me i should have staid with a synthetic chemical perscribed by my doctor that was making things worse oposed to using a plant that grows from the earth. in the book of genesis god says that he gives man all seeded plants and hevr to use....just what exactly would the chemical componds in marijuana be used for besides as medicine? huh, how about salvia....what elese could salvia posibly be of use to man besides its chemical compounds eh? i think a lot of you are ingonorent just because these substances are illegal, and alchol is, does that mean alcohol is good no, in fact asprin kills and serioulsy harms thousands of people every year, there is not a single death recorded do two marijuana overdose. aslo abortions legal, its part of the law of the land, you gona sit there and tell me that its ok for that reason? i dont thik so.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/22/05 02:43 PM

The prescribed antidepressant may not have helped and even hindered your recovery but another may have worked. Antidepressants sure don't give the high that pot or other drugs do but getting high isn't the cure for depression. How you use it makes no differeence legally. Tokin or cookin it's an illegal drug.

You have a point that some teens and others may have suicidal thoughts. It's exactly why the warning is part of the advertising campaign. Those drugs are designed to help balance seratonin levels the brain produces. That's the physical side of depression. They aren't sedative in nature which is why they don't give a high that causes a false sense of well being like Xanax, Valium, Librium or pot. None of these helps with the psychological side either. Only hard work with a good therapist and the grace of God can accomplish that.

It's good to hear that you are a motivated young man. Don't for a second though think that pot is the source of that motivation. It comes to you from God NOT herb. At one time you may have had some validity to the medicinal claim you make of something that grows in Gods good soil. That plant isn't the plant you use. The chemical properties aren't at all similar to the pot that is laboratory raised usually anymore or by hydroponics. In an efort to keep the addict addicted, the growers have found ways to make todays version very much more potent and dangerous and more carcinogenic than tobacco. I bears the same name but isn't the same plant. Not to mention what it may be treated with to make addicts like it even more. They keep altering it since they know the addicts will become so habituated to it it will no longer have it's affects on them.

Some, the pure and wise may be ignorant because they haven't used. Others of us were you at one time. We all rationaized the same ways you do. We beleived most if not all the claims you make and probably made them ourselves. When pot no longer did it for us we switched drug or preference or added a little something to it to escape whatever the reality that caused us so much pain we decided self medicating was the answer to our problems.

Yep, alcohol is legal. That may have something to do with it being the nations largest drug abuse problem. Why it's so easily obtained and more affordable than street drugs are. One thing in it's favor though, it's production is controlled. When you make your choice you can be sure you're getting exactly what you are bargaining for. Formaldihide (enbalming fluid) and all.

It may be true that one doesn't OD on pot. That's because, by the time you could, you're unconcious and finally NOT a danger to yourself or others should you be stupid enough to drive while under the influence. However, impaired judgment and diminished capacity before unconciousness does kill many.

I know you don't realize it but comparing your addiction to abortion, pharmaceuticals, alcohol, or any other more heavy duty street drug doesn't have an ounce of validity. Legal or illegal makes no difference. All of your rationalizations to keep using are just what any addict does to reconcile their using. To cure myself of my depression and post traumatic disorder eventually I was shooting speed. Then went back to pot again. Have you chosen your next drug of choice for when pot doesn't do it for you? I beleive I remember you saying it was the bad drug expereiences that brought you tho where you are and taught you all you know and preach now. Apparently the lesson wasn't learned. The lesson was, DON'T USE. Until you are clean for a while will you realize how much you are missing. I too thought I saw more clearly stoned and was more in touch and aware. Not so.

The bottom line here kiddo, is, nobody is going to tell you anything sice you know better than everyone. If nothing else since you are so hellbent on testifying and reaching the unreachable it would be good for you to at least consider stoned testimony isn't worth squat except to another stoner you're supplying some hits on a joint for. For those around who aren't using and see and hear you and your disciples if they aren't already Christians, you're the poster child for never being Christian. I'm sure they wouldn't want to end up like that.

One last thought, yes, it's true, Jesus did go to the tough hearts and damaged souls, But you aren't Jesus. When he did minister to them he wasn't stoned. He was a shining example of how to be. I'm not at all saying that you or anybody shouldn't try reaching these people. But to have any integrity at all you need to be clean and sober.

Sorry guy, if it looks like an addict, if it walks like an addict, if it talks like an addict, it's probably an addict. Preaching doesn't change that.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/22/05 05:55 PM

i get my herb from a local organic grower whos been growing for 20 years and has supported his family doing so, also budanibinol...an active substance in herb, has recenlty been found by food and drug adminsitation of canada to be a very effect anti-depresant. thanks for your help but do your homework, mariijauana is actulay legal in parts of cancada and is currently being used for anti depresion.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/22/05 05:58 PM

try it's illegal... since when does God encourage you to break the law because it's what helps you. HE can get you through it!!! It's not the medicine. There is a right LEGAL one out there for you. DO NOT call it a HERB... it's a DRUG. I don't care how many times you call it that or if you cook with it or what... it is, was, and always will be a drug. And... if you get caught with it the consequences will be paid. Try explaining that one to God... not to us. You're held accountable to God and NO ONE else. It took me FOREVER to get my anxiety and depression under control. I honestly thought God couldn't do it. I almost got into witchcraft and I almost killed myself. But God pulled me through. NO matter HOW MANY STUPID things I do he ALWAYS pulls me through. So he'll pull you through, too. You can't justify what you do. You know in your heart that no matter what way you look at it it's wrong... What would Jesus do? honestly...

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/22/05 06:16 PM

arent legal drugs also DRUGS?, and herb is legal in many countries, our government just doesnt want to be called out as being wron wiht the drug war

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/22/05 10:42 PM

Since you want to testify and minister, why is it you only talk of drugs? Haven't really heard any God from you. Unless it's God's drug as opposed to mans.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/22/05 11:56 PM

After my conversation with you I find that you question God more than you testify to him.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/23/05 03:05 PM

You read High-times" too much Yashutree. Your arguments have been around for a long time. the fact still remains, youth who use herb suffer more mental illness....your use only offers temporary relief. in the end you will be more unstable. The potency of todays marihuana is so much more than even 10 years ago they cant even be compared. some of it actually approaches hallucinogenic,or heroin-like in its stupor. You know the original use for cannabis was hemp for clothing and rope etc. Not for getting high.God made grapes , he didnt make wine. god made st johns wort he didnt make valium or xanax, god made cannabis but he didnt make acapulco gold.get my drift. Man has changed the use and intent of many things god has made. god made barley and hops but he didnt make beer. he didnt make cocaine or heroine or any other manmade substance. i consider man made homegrown or intentionally grown pot to be a man thing and not a god thing. it is my argument the pot you would get from cannabis plants unaltered through time wouldnt even give you a buzz, probably just a headache and a cough.
The devil is at the root of the drug culture and has been since the beginning of time. He is a liar and the father of them. Sorcery in the bible is inclusive of drug use. the root word comes from the greek Pharmakopeia(look familiar).you are decieving yourself if you think you are using a substance God created for you to use in the manner you are using. The devil has perverted it plainly.
I will leave you with this, take it as you will...
1 samuel 15:23
"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft and stubborness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the Word of the Lord, thou hast rejected also thee from being King.
I only hope God is preparing you for ministry, through your depression and circumstance. hang in there and keep pressing in. you can find a deeper relationship and witness without the drugs.they are not NECESSARY. you are hurting your witness and the name of Christ even if you dont believe you are.
nabster

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/23/05 05:58 PM

Hey man, you don't have to be so defensive; I wasn't telling you I was advising you not to. If you want to then that’s your own choice and it has nothing to do with me. But as I can see, like other people on this website I was addicted to some serious drugs, which started off with a joint, and even after I stopped the heavy drugs I continued to smoke pot. Trying to kick pot was just as hard in other ways. People say pot isn’t addicting, that’s bull, and it is a depressant much like alcohol. I’m not attacking you bro, your choice is your own just keep the peace and be real to yourself.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/23/05 10:38 PM

Joy comes from TRUSTING GOD...

Consider it PURE JOY my brothers when you endure TRIALS OF MANY KINDS becuase you know it's the testing of your faith that develops perserverance...

God could stop anything so therefore he must have a reason for letting every situation happen.

Joy- the peace and quiet confidence that comes from knowing God is in control!

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/24/05 09:24 PM

one. i havent taken hallucinogens in over three years and dont plan on taking them again. two. i did however havea bad trip when i did, that was the key expericance to turing me back around and going towards christ. three i dont tell anyone to take psychedlelics and and dont think anyone elses should, but formyself i have to be thankful for my experiace with them because it scared the hell out of me and i can limping back to christ and thank god for it!, three. thank you for al your concearn, i do apreciate it so much, and in the very least, i can say i relate to some of your post and i am going to smoke less, which i know you will just condem, but dont, because it is a step, my dad had to wean himself of zoloft and maybe so shall i do the same with herb. four, when and if i do stop using it, my opnion is that it is still a viable medicine that if put through the pharisutical companies perhaps in pill form ( like the do in canada as a substance called marinol, which you can get a prescription for like budanibinol as well ) offers relife for pain, cluster headaces, depresion ( budanibinol ). ( all of theses things are happeing in canada, i talk regulary with some one who lives up there and are on top of these topics. thanks for you thoughts freinds.
Posted By: mattyG

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/08/05 04:47 AM

sorry for jumping in on this so late. i found this site while googling a song called hungry and found this site so here i am...

i didnt really see about the drug thread so i hope you dont mind me posting about the bands i like.

first off i am a hardcore christian music fan. i love it. ever since pillar (whoop!) came to our disciple now at our church 3-4 years ago i have been into the christian music scene.

let me give you some good bands to check out.

for hardcore/screaming: east west, extol, zao, underoath, emery, demon hunter, subseven, norma jean, beloved, living sacrifice, haste the day are some good ones to check out. (my favs being east west, underoath (emo), emery (emo), and demon hunter.

for more of a rock sound check out: Pillar(AWESOME, fav band ever), Disciple (awesome too), thousand foot krutch, blindside, POD, dead poetic, day of fire, 12 stones, Spoken, kids in the way, kutless, jeremy camp, Skillet are all good.

for punkish smile check out: falling up, relient k, the wedding, the chemistry (awesome), hawk nelson, further seems forever, MxPx, Sidewalk Slam, Five Iron Frenzy (ska), Supertones (ska), Number One Gun, Stellar Kart

most if not all of these artists can be found on www.purevolume.com with samples of their songs. this is definately not even close to the amount of awesome christian bands there are and if you need more feel free to email/im/pm/ me.

ps. i look forward to getting to know everybody laugh

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/08/05 06:09 AM

Hey MattyG, welcome and thanks for the headsup wavey
Posted By: SenorElMouse

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/08/05 06:08 PM

I'm not sure if all of the norigional drug talk people are here but I've got a few things to add. Drugs, illeagle as they may be, help some people. Those of you who condemn it without even trying drugs, please don't. You do not understand where we are comming from. For those of you out there that were addicted and got off, I'm glad for you. However, there are some people out there that need drugs to stay normal. God doesn't work for everyone. Also, what happens to people without a God? Now what? shall they just die instead of finding some way to deal with the pain?

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/05 07:24 AM

???

I don't have to hack off my right arm to know it would be harmful if I did. There's plenty of research and a mountain of anecdotal evidence that drug abuse is harmful to those partaking. Doesn't matter how good it might make you feel when you use. *All* drugs can be harmful if mis-used, from aspirin to heroin, even water and oxygen both can kill you if you over-do it.

ps: God does "work" for everyone...
Posted By: Joel33

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/05 03:00 PM

Drugs are a false God akin to idol worship. They falsely and temporarily impart the user with the feelings of euphoria that can only be permanently attained through a living relationship with your Maker through the Holy Spirit.

Worse still is that addictive substances rob you of your free will. In my mind, choice and free will are among the greatest gifts God has given us. However, with choice comes accountability. If one chooses to use drugs, one cannot choose whether or not they will become addicted, and once addicted, free will is lost.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/05 07:04 PM

Here's the better question I suppose: What's the harm? Only to yourself. No, stop replying right now with the anti-drug commercial and how they affect everyone. It's a deal of responsibility. You blame the drug and not the person. I can see it now "Just tell the your parents you couldn't watch your baby sister because you were (fill in name of activity better than watching sister; i.e., playing video games, listening to loud music, ect) they'll understand. You don't seem to realize that the people that do these things, would not have gone out there and saved that kid if they were doing something else either. It's maybe because ITS THEIR FAULT NOT THE DRUG'S! Mary Jane is something to do, its not the cause of all of these things. What some people do to their bodies is their business and no opne else's. Look at it this way. Take that example I just gave about the anti-drug commercial. You could put anything else in there. anything. People that are getting high would be doing something else anyways. It doesn't matter. You look at a bad thing and blame it on the thing and not the person. It's the same with a lot of christians and the devil. To me, that is just casting the blame to where it should not. You should put the blame on the person and not say something like "Oh the devil tempted me to do it and I succombed accidentally." That is completely a cop out. The devil (if there even is such a thing) doesn't need to do anything to get people to do wrong. WE CHOOSE IT OURSELVES. The oppertunities are always there. Don't cast the blame on something else. Blame the person not the object that they used.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/05 08:02 PM

Have you spoken with miss jane today, M? smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/05 08:44 PM

Hey now..... Haha.
Posted By: Joel33

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/05 08:54 PM

I agree with you Mouse to an extent.

However, from the Christian perspective, it's pretty clear that we are to treat our bodies as a temple - not to defile our bodies or take anything into them that pollutes them.

If our bodies or our temple is not clean or polluted, then we can't expect to commune with God through the spirit. If we are unclean, the spirit cannot commune with us. Drugs - because they are a false God - prevent us from fully realizing our relationship with God.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/05 08:59 PM

If I were a Christian I could not have said it better myself.

*Tips hat to Joel*

As most people do not remember:

"Take the plank out of your own eye before you remove the splinter in your friend's."
Posted By: thechrisss

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/21/06 12:55 AM

This conversation has gone way off of subject but good conversations

I myself go to concerts that would be "jam Bands" like keller williams and moe. and Widespread Panic, I try to limit my self and not go to many of these shows because yes, they can be a stumbling block if I put myself in these situations too often. There is drug use, not too heavily but it is going on. I do not partake and most of the time are not near them because I dont get pit seats. I want to clear up tho that these concerts are fun, and are good music to dance to and it is very good music I do not condem these bands or concerts at all. I do condem the drug use and I take a very strong stance towards that and do not agree one bit with what Yashuatree has said. He embarrases me with the things he has said about those concerts and I know has given most of the christians a very bad vibe about jam music. I will say they are fun and can be enjoyed in a sober way if you want to see good music.

There are plenty of people at these concerts who are not hippies and and having a good time being sober and listening to great, and talent-filled music.

I just limit myself to these concert because I know that if I hang around something too long, I will grow weary and could become blind to its wrongness or strort taking part in the lame parts of those concerts.

I would recomend going with another christian brother or sister for accountability as I do. And if you are going to a jam concert in the future let me know

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/21/06 01:10 AM

some good christian live or jam bands:

The David Crowder Band- An amazing live band! I always though this bands studio albums of ths band were good and worshipfull, but I never though this band to be inprovisional or spontaneous, but good at what they played. I heard a live recording of this band and have seen dvd performances. Simply amazing, better than the studio albums by far. Soo much energy, improvision and talented musiscian, a great live band. I havent seen them in real life but almost all of my friends have and say its simply amazing and I can see that through the DVD's

Infradig Ensemble- A Instrumental jam band that is very goood and are christian beleivers
check em out at infradig.net

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 03/02/06 12:53 AM

I agree with thechrisss when it comes to the drugs and the concerts. They are a lot of fun and the music is excellent. Unfortunately people do drugs and it does happen at these concerts. But I don’t believe in sheltering myself, if I did I wouldn’t leave my house. I go to these concerts for my own reasons and that’s enjoy something that you can’t get anywhere else. Again I’ll agree with thechrisss, I don’t expose myself to the environment often. I don’t believe it was correct though to label the hippies as the one’s doing drugs. I call them drugies, to do drugs doesn’t make one a hippie, it’s not even the clothes one wears, it’s a state of mind a state of being, it’s a belief in peace and love, hence hippieChristians. Hippies weren’t form around drugs, and it was during the hippie area when the biggest hippieChristian movements occurred. Also there is a lot of “hippies” at the shows that don’t do drugs. Actually there was a group formed of hundreds of people from around the US that would gather together at phish shows in there area to enjoy the music with a sober mind. There are all kinds of wonderful music; I choose to enjoy them all. Be true to yourself, peace and love.
Posted By: phishrman

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 03/09/06 08:19 PM

If I may add something to this...

I ahve been a Christian most of my life; but have only acted like one for maybe a third of my life. I have written numerous songs and am a huge fan of musically talented jam bands. I even drove 29 hours to see Phish's final show in Coventry, VT., for crying out loud.
God started to convict me when I attempted to form a secular jam band.

I tried so many times to excuse it by saying that the lyrics were moral and not anything to quibble over - and this is true. But, God impressed upon me the importance of using the gift He gave me for guitar playing, improvised music, and songwriting for him. Simply put, entertaining a bunch of drunk and high people with nice lyrics is not a good example of glorifying God.

I choose, instead, to perform music with only Christian lyrical content; and my band will play wherever the door may open. Because, more important than having a good musical time is using that music to touch someone's spirit and open a door for them to get to Christ. It about evangelism.

I point it out because that is a conviction that has been placed squarely upon me. I am not saying this is the way it is for everyone. There are those who can listen to non-Christian stuff and be OK. Personally, I choose to consume as much good stuff as I can.

God bless.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 03/10/06 02:30 AM

Good message phishrman - and welcome wavey

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 03/28/06 11:22 PM

My bad NODY I was being ignorant by using hippie the way I did. I actually dont know what I was thinking b/c I really like people that have the mindset of the hippies you described. People sometimes call me a hippie so that was my bad, i used it in the wrong context

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 03/29/06 06:18 AM

hippies are cool wink

The Jesus movement brought a lot of people to Christ in the 70's, most of them hippies. smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/04/06 05:30 PM

Its cool thechriss, unfortunately now a day’s people believe that to be a hippie involves being open minded to the drug scene. I find it kind of sad actually. It’s like to be a famous musician you must drink do drugs and sleep with as many women as you can. Why is that kind of life style envied?

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/14/06 03:21 AM

something to consider in this argument: there is nothing you can put in your body through your mouth that will make you unpure only that which comes out of it. also, by levetical law eating pork is a sin and I am willing to bet a few of you like ham, on top of that, coffee, nicotine, energy drinks, and cough syrup ( in a regular dose for an ailment ) can effect and alter brain actitiy more severly than marijuana .

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/16/06 01:47 PM

anything mind distorting that goes into your body is unpure, the bible calls it pharmacopeia. witchcraft.
marijuana induces a distorted mental state and alters one's reality. nicotine and coffe do not.
why do you think it is called dope? i draw the line at nicotine, because in it's pure form, it is mind altering, a cigerette is adumbed version of the pure drug. i am against it as well. caffeine, i could be persuaded it is wrong as well.
I have no tolerance for the marijuana argument because I know how it affected my life, lives of many friends and unfortunately my own son's life.
the marijuana of today, as well, is much much stronger and potent than yesteryear and even hundreds of years, due to breeding and crossbreeding strains of species. it is extremely addictive(emotionally) and very destructive once addicted to it. it is a deceptive drug and very easy to fall under its euphoric high.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/17/06 12:22 AM

Then you, by your faith, are not allowed to go to the hospital. You cannot take painkillers, you cannot use anethesia while having surgery or anything like that.

As for drugs, I have to take a neutral stance on this.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/18/06 12:47 AM

it is intent as well, mouse. abuse of anything can happen. drugs for good and drugs for pleasure can be intertwined easily. marijuana for cancer patients, i do not have a problem with , for instance, other than the fact it is currently illegal. i by my faith, do go to the hospital, i have had many prescriptions for pain killers from 2 back surgeries as well. i did not abuse them. and when i no longer needed them i quit takin em. they were effective in pain relief. not partying. different than recreational drugs.
nabster

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/18/06 12:52 AM

Direct Nabster Quote:

anything mind distorting that goes into your body is unpure, the bible calls it pharmacopeia. witchcraft.

Man, if novicane and stuff like that isn't mind altering, then I don't know what is. If it is against the Bible you cannot say that it is ok in one instance and bad in another. Take murder for instance. If a man kills his neighbor because he is mad at him, that is sinful and evil. But if a woman kills her abusive husband after years of abuse and maltreatment, that is ok? If so, then you are not going by your Bible. You cannot condemn the very thing that you accept or praise in another part.

That, by the way, is my stance on drugs and such. It is the person's own body. If God didn't want them to get high, then he shouldn't have created weed and such.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/18/06 12:40 PM

okay , so i shouldve taken more time in selecting my words more precisely. however, you do know what i mean , and where i stand is very clear. novacain is clearly different than xtacy or dope. abuse of it however is no different.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/18/06 01:44 PM

I believe if we search ourselves, if we look deep within and be truly honest with ourselves the answers to our questions will reveal themselves. The reason why I say this is because I don’t believe we are all honest with our own persons, including me. I believe that some times we search or convince ourselves of the answer we want. From reading these posts I could ALMOST tell you the people that do “drugs” and don’t. I will not tell those that do “same them” for I agree that it’s your business not mine. However, to compare acid to Advil I don’t see the parallel. Pork was also brought up questioning once faith, does that mean we should start lynching witches again, or maybe draining people’s blood when they get sick. The bible was written a long time ago, we all know that pork is not evil. What will god say about our medical technology when we talk, I’m not sure. But, to compare going to the hospital (the will to live) and abusing drugs, I don’t think god will have the same point of view as those whom post otherwise. We are all here to serve gods purpose.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/18/06 06:32 PM

See, you say that you can tell if we've used drugs or not. I'll come right out and say it. I have. Many times. However, ever since I found my dream of heading into the Navy I've been clean for 5 months.

This doesn't mean that I don't believe that they don't help, and even hurt people. However, to say that all drugs, even the illegal ones are evil, is wrong in my eyes. I've seen them help some people. I've also seen them hurt people.

NODY I also like how you said that medicine in the Bible doesn't relate to today because we have advanced so much. You make some good points.

/tips hat

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/18/06 09:53 PM

legality is of man. law creates legal and illegal.
right and wrong are moral and come from BIblical heritage. drugs for recreation are wrong.
Posted By: Waalyn

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/18/06 11:06 PM

It is hard to talk about "drugs". There are so many different types of drugs. But let's take hardcore minus legal ones (including nicotine and alcohol or anything else over-the-counter that is "bad" - I'll explain shortly) those are just bad for the lone reason they are illegal. God never gives us the right to do anything illegal unless we are forced to break the law to stay in his will. Now for the over-the-counter/legal drugs, God won't drop his size 10,000 shoe out of the sky to stomp on you for drinking some wine/beer and/or smoking a camel. But if you delve deep inside yourself, God has probably asked you to stop. It's all about the "yes" in your spirit to God's request. Not to mention I just read about an hour ago in 1Corinthians 3:17 "If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple are ye." Meaning polluting our temple is not good. When we asked Jesus into our life..he really came into the temple which is our body to reside in us. Just for background info I have been saved for almost a year and a half and have been struggling with smoking cigs and drinking albeit they are legal and that has been my excuse to be allowed but, God has a way of dealing with that if you want to draw nearer to him. Take it for what you want, I since I just registered I am Pharisee and you know what us christians think of that bunch. LOL (gotta see how to get rid of that monicker)

OK, I am new to the site and the main reason I found this place was I Googled for Christian Jam Bands. So uh, why are we talking about drugs? (Maybe, this is where I need to spend an hour readin the rest of the string) Other than our past experiences with Jam Bands usually meant drug-laced evenings with a whole lot of great music (well when I was unsaved I thought it was great). My wife and I were discussing how the music on Christian radio has no "JAM". Has anyone compiled a list from the posts to just list one so that I can continue on my merry way? Or do I have to go back and read? lol

Oh BTW, I think I am going to have to put this site in my favorites. Nothing like talking to people in this life that will spend eternity with me in the big big house God has prepared for us in the next life. Yipee! Let's all make a joyful noise unto our Lord!!!

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/19/06 03:33 AM

welcome dude...

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/19/06 11:06 AM

Waalyn, Good luck with the Christian Jamband thing. Thats the reason I'm on this page also. But, to get a straight answer out of anybody is hard. Not that people don't try to help, because they do. But, they will give you names of bands they like. I'm not sure if everybody in the Christian Music scene knows exactly what Jam Music is. However I have some names of bands that I've stumbled on along the way, some I've listened to some I havent. Jars of Clay is good not jam though, Seens, Pure Evidence, Madison Greene and Waterdeep are a few names that I've got what I brought up Christian Jam. I'm not sure if they are, I haven't listened to them. But, I've checked out thier band they look like posible jam. If you have better luck or find other bands please email me, jsprague16@yahoo.com thanks.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/19/06 11:07 AM

Seeds not Seens

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/19/06 12:14 PM

I checked out Waterdeep. Good Jam but (no offense to anyone) the singing is mediocre at best. I only downloaded one show so I'll see if I can dig up anymore. I also ran across The Selah Project. They sound great but I only got to hear one song. It was long and I am not sure it qualifies as a Jam. Not to mention I couldn't really find much of a presence of them on the net.

I used to listen to a band called Ekoostik Hookah. They Jammed but didn't glorify God. Not to mention the scene causes me to stumble so I stay away. So I need a Jam fix. THX NODY, I'll check these others out. If I find some good ones, I'll definitely email them to you.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/20/06 02:20 AM

koinonia was a jazz fusion jam band. killer.
david crowder has some cool stuff, not really jam though....there is some prophetic type music from jason upton...he rules and it is very improvisational and very annointed...some of it goes on for 10-15 minutes at a time.
i have always liked lincoln brewster, his latest is awesome praise and has some great guitat breaks and intros, but still not quite jam band.
dakona is jammin...indie band...for me , if i want jam band i go back to original jam bands...allman brothers...check out, "jessica" "mr bluebird" , blues tat jams isnt necessarily non christian. for guitar jambs that just flat out make you feel good allman bros are hard to beat. i never got into the wierd stuff like Phish, although they are good musicians, it wasnt my cup o tea. never liked the dead either, lousy vocals and average musicians at best...they jammed, but i was bored with em. dave weckl band is pure fusion jazz jam. he is an amazing drummer and his fellow musicians can absoultely lay it down. al dimeola killer jams, pat metheny, chick corea, stanley clark, wooten brothers are world renowned and victor wooten is superb on his many basses. bela fleck is awesome. look em up and listen to em a bit, see if you like their stuff.
nabster

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/20/06 11:20 AM

Right on Nabster, some of my favorite music there. All though I'm a big fan of Phish, but for each their own. Hey you want to hear some good drumming? Check out Stanton Moore, he is recently the drummer for a fusion jamband out of New Orleans called Galactic. Although he is famous for his jazz stuff. Get "All Kooked Out" by him. Also if you havent heard of Jaco you must. He played for the first jazz fusion band to really make a name, Weather Report. Check out "The Jaco Years" he's the man. Lets see if we can keep the topic on good music and off of drugs. Peace

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/20/06 11:39 AM

yopu mean of course jaco pastorious, that cat is awesome. did you ever hear the album paul rogers made of a bunch of muddy waters classics?
john bonhams son , jason, on drums. 17 different killer guitarists, incredible . called paul rogers tribute to muddy waters it is a must have. wrather report, is fab....chester thompson, is fab. spyro gyra is fab. brecker brothers smokin....

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/21/06 02:26 AM

I am going to look up the christian bands listed. Thanks for the info.

I personally don't care to get anymore info on the secular jam bands. I've seen them quite a bit and they are devoid of God. Give God the glory because he gave them the ability. I came here looking for a Jesus worshipping jamband. Finding a secular jamband is as easy as www.jambase.com

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/21/06 03:34 AM

problem is i rally dont think jam band and christian go togeher. because it tends to come from a worldly drug like point of refernce. what is christian about just jamming. it isnt. maybe christian musicians, but it aint givin god the glory unless he is the one getting attention from the music.
jam bands also lend themselves to an open mind without guidance of it. and an aidle mind is the devils playground. it must glorify god to be christian.prais eand worship is where it is at. if you wanna get a high like never before do about an hour or so of some really good p and W. tomlin, crowder, passsion, redman,cooley, upton, shane and shane, brewster, danny chambers, vertical nation.
david binion.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/21/06 03:42 AM

God's ways are not our ways. A Jam can happen while praising our heavenly king. Trust me. God told me I would get a Jam band. I believe him. Now mind you, I have yet to follow up on any of those bands you gave me info on. Give me this weekend and I will give my report card. LOL

Shane and Shane are on tour with a friend of mine. Bethany Dillon goes to my church and she is the sweetest thing this side of grandma's apple pie. If you get the chance go see this young lady sing. She has a very special annointing.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/21/06 03:44 AM

boo still a Pharisee.... ALLEN!!!

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/24/06 01:09 PM

I'm also no longer into secular jam bands. But, I love jazz, from standard to swing to fusion. There are Christian musicians that do jazz, or guitar instrumentals, or other instrumentals. Add jazz aspects to rock aspects you basically get jam music. Have a Christian band with Christian lyrics you get Christian jam. I think it’s very possible to get Christian jam, and I think it would be a great thing. I believe that the reason we have music is because of god. To me the act of improvising is god voice flowing through our veins giving us life and the gift of music. Improvising is an amazing thing, but there is always a dark side to the force my Jedi friends.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/24/06 01:58 PM

can anyone give me some examples of christian jam bands with christian lyric....i would be all over it , especially if it is really good musicianship.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/24/06 04:31 PM

Thats the problem, it seems they have not been invented.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/25/06 04:34 AM

My friend who plays keyboards at our church plays jazz at a local restaurant on Saturday nights - she's good. My brother plays sax with her some times and it's a jazz sound. I don't believe either has words to some of the music they play. The band at my church gets into instrumental music, tho when we do it's more of a blues sound rather than jazz.

I am not familiar with any mainstream/commercial Christian bands who play jazz - would be cool I imagine, tho most probably do some riffs, most are unrecorded.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/25/06 09:49 PM

jammin music with no lyrical content cannot cause one to focus on the Lord, unless the melody is a familiar christian one. jam bands do nothing to glorify God, because it is just music.
I am a musician and love music and jammin music at that , but to glorify GOd, ie christian....it must have something christian about it other than people. christian people playing non christian music is a waste of a gift from God, unless the people they influence are for the Lord.
FOr me christian jam is praise and worship.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/26/06 03:45 AM

Idda know about that - you are saying music without Christian lyrics cannot glorify God? King David played the harp, there's several other mentions in the Bible of music being played to glorify God and no lyrics being sung... I think we're limiting rather than expanding what's possible here.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/26/06 01:10 PM

HOW DOES MUSIC , TODAY, GLORIFY GOD, IF IT IS NOT LYRICAL AND DOES NOT COPY A MELODY OF A CHRISTIAN SONG?
how do we know david did not sing while playing? he sure did write a lot of psalms for his music.
if a message is given either in concert or on disc or in loterature with disc i can see God through that , but just the music itself, i dont see it. i may be stereotyping here as well. but it doesnt exist anywhere today because i dont think it can ....today.
perception is reality and jam music is just that, jam, it is about focusing on the player and God. and anything focusing on the musician is not glorifying god but man. really.
live concert's with accompanying testimonies, again i can kinda see that as a christian experience maybe, but still not Christian Music.
nab.... forgive me Lord, if I limit you.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/27/06 02:13 AM

hmmm... then dance, unless it's accompanied by someone talking or singing isn't worship either? What about any other art forms? Paintings? Photography?

You may be right... but if God has given someone a talent, such as playing a piano, running fast, cooking a great meal - then doing so to the best of their ability would be one way they worship God. I don't think it has to be accompanied by words for God to understand what the intent of the heart is...

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/27/06 02:58 AM

I AM IN AGREEMENT HERE ....BUT JAM BAND?UHHHH I DONT THINK SO. SOMEBODY PROVE ME WRONG, CUZ I LOVE MUSIC, THAT JAMS, AND IS CHRISTIAN, BUT WITHOUT GODLY INFLUENCE IN THE MUSIC, MY MIND CAN WANDER AND BECOME UNFOCUSED ON GOD AND A WANDERING MIND IS THE DEVILS PLAYGROUND....
AHHHH HECK I DONT KNOW....
dancing without music, unless the dance is interpretive or has specific movements carrying a meaning, i dont think it is christian either.
art can be christian, if it is displaying God's creation nature , but even there the lines are blurry....put a christian caption and yeah it is christian. but a picture of the sunset in and of itself is just nature. and who can tell the difference?
art, by its very nature has to depict christian things to be christian in and of itself.
i guess what i is sayin is dis....just becuase a christian makes it doesnt make it christian. if billy graham makes an omelete is the omelet chriatian? hehehe. no it is an omelet and nothing more. now if he cuts it into the shape of a cross(gross) it is now depicting something that is recognized as christian. (i dont know how i came up with that one) sorry Lord.
get my drift?
nab

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/28/06 02:52 AM

I think trying to determine if something is "Christian" or not is where the stumbling block is... we try to limit what can be truly worshipful just because it might not be something we'd see in a typically conservative Baptist or Assembly of God, etc. church. It then turns into a holier than thou competition where there's always someone's church who is more conservative than the last - this church doesn't go to R rated movies, the next one doesn't go to pg movies, the next one doesn't go to movies, the next one doesn't watch tv, the next one doesn't cut their hair, the next one won't turn on a light switch on the sabbath because the electricity current is considered "work", the next one still rides horses and has no electricity... on and on and on.... The people who attend the church on horses and without electricity still have minds that wonder during the sermon - and you know that's only the devil's playground wink

There's lots to be said for differing ways of worship... I don't participate in most of them, but I can't fault those who do.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/28/06 02:24 PM

That's a wonderful thing about our God. He created us all differently. If I want to play a Christian song then jam out for a few minutes in the middle of it then return, that may be my way of praising.

Allen, you are dead on. I don't think that not cutting your hair and not going to movies and etc. are neccessary but who am I to tell someone how to glorify our God? As long as it isn't in direct conflict with the Word, worship how you want. I am just fortunate to have been led to a church that doesn't have rules made by man.

As for the jam bands, I must be honest. I haven't listened to any, yet. I have been SUPER busy and hope to get some tune-age in this weekend. And give a report to the enquiring minds.
Posted By: joshua

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/03/06 06:08 PM

I have been looking for a list of new christian jam bands since I accepted Christ. I do know that there are secular bands that have christian musicians and I do think that they can still glorify God. Its not about pleasing people or their different religions. its about pleasing God and if they are using the talents that God gave them and the intentions of their heart are to glorify God then who am I to say that they are not pleasing Him. Why do we need words to praise Him? We dont need to say glory to God verbaly in every song to praise Him. He knows our hearts and thats what pleases God. People get so caught up trying to tell every one what God thinks that it seems like they loose sight of what He says. One of my favorite artist is Robert Randolph. He plays pedal steel guitar and he is awsome. truly blessed. he is christian and is on a secular label his lyrics glorify God but they dont come out and say God,God,God. but they get their point across. they speak about a relationship.he has a couple of albums out there and an album w/john medeski of medeski,martin,and wood and members of the north mississippi allstars and they call themselves The Word. but he is a great example of a christian jam artist. I guess my point is that as christians we need to be bold with our beliefs but we can also sneek them in to secular music by keeping the message positive and truly giving full credit to god in the credits . Why do we limit Gods power? why is it so far fetched that God wouldnt call a band to represent Him in the secular music scene? What better place to reach non believers. hit them on their on turf with lyrics they can feel and understand. I have been part of that scene as a non believer and I think that all those people are out there searching for something. they just dont have anyone out there to guide them in the right direction. how as christians can anybody on this page say that these people are so bad. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Imagine the possibilities of a jam band or music festival ministry. thousands of people searching. and instead of judging, seeds could be planted.just a thought. I love this music and if people are willing to try this respond back. thanks for letting me speak my mind. hope you all enjoy robert randolph and the family band

god bless,
josh in indy

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/03/06 06:14 PM

Oh yeah thanks for the welcome Allen. Glad to be signed up.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/03/06 06:57 PM

I agree Robert Randolph is a great musician. I have seen him several times. I guess my quest for a Christian Jam Band is more for a christian band. I know of the secular/christian Jam Bands, I just want more God in my music. I'm in no way against RR or anyone like that. But, I don't need to be reached now. (Thank you Jesus!) I am looking for a Jam Band with God, God, God. Just let me take the music from Bands like RR or ekoostik Hookah, GD or Phish and put christian lyrics to it. That's what I am on a quest for and really haven't found a good match.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/03/06 07:38 PM

Waalyn I Know what ya mean. I have been reading this forum and I am responding to all the input today is my first time to post. I have not been successful in finding a christian jamband artist either. actually my search is what led me here.a website I have found that has some not so mainstream Christian music is a site called cd baby now the have all kinds of indie music christian and non christian but i have found some cool stuff out there.some names on there are Brian Phelps kinda got a jack johnson sound.tim helman is another he has an early keller williams acoustic sound. if ya like bluegrass there is a band called bluegrace kinda different. another cool christian artist not on that site is a guy named jason gay. and finally a guy i had the pleasure of meeting a couple weeks ago through a youth retreat at my church is jerimae yoder check out his stuff on indieheaven.com full track samples but he is a little more on the acoustic/alternative side but a really cool guy and from indy. but I fully agree that it is a challenging mission to find a genre called christian jam. keep on sharin the tune trail.

strength through Christ,
Josh in Indy

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/03/06 08:00 PM

I love Blue grass music..its kinda like the early hillbilly ancestors of jamband music. Thanks for the Bluegrace tip. I loved what I heard! I just ordered all 3 of their CDs. smile I'll investigate jason gay and tim helman later this evening. And BTW, I found this site looking for a Christian Jam Band too! Hey there might not be a Christian Jam Band out there but look at how it is bringing peeps here hehe.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/03/06 09:04 PM

hey thats awsome.there is stuff out there it just isnt mainstream. but with a little effort and tips from friends this might work out. its cool to know that there are so many former concert goers converted out there.amen.which brings me back to the conclusion that if we were once lost but now were found then with support from other christian jam fans,we could have a ministry here. I myself am a new christian which is why I speak of strength in numbers so we dont stray. but what an oppertunity. I dont know? "You may say Im a dreamer but Im not the only one" I just think that one can be saved at a music festival. But if nobody's there (Christians) to spread the word then no wonder it is the way it is.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/04/06 06:44 PM

good words joshua....i stand corrected on my stance about the standings of jam bands....hehehe
love robert randolph...
maybe we should start a christian jam band....i got the drums covered, anyone else?

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/08/06 02:05 PM

hehe I got the jaw harp

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/24/06 03:20 PM

OK I killed it on the jaw harp. I'll stand down so someone else can join. I didn't want to overshadow you all with my massive jawharp talent. tipsy
Posted By: Jay Bird

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/16/06 12:32 AM

Are there any christian bands out there who consistently have songs with guitar solos?

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/16/06 02:00 AM

Hello all. To be honest i gota tell you I have met many freinds who are fellow jamband heads who became belivers becasue of a good or bad drug experiance usaly a halucinogen. granted the intensity of revelation in tha state of mind usaly lead to that person(s) quiting said substance my friends and myself can atest to the fact that becuase of those experiances we turned to the lord. I have been a beliver since i was very young, i was moving toward atheism during my teen years due to freinds and a trumatic experiance and I can honestly say a bad acid trip straightend me right out and had me turning back to god. I ended my use shortyl after that. but continue to use herb becasue i have tried antiaxiety and depression drugs ( several ) and found all to be bad nasty substances that have negitively effected my psyche and I can honestly say in marijuana I have not suffered similar symptoms. Also i dont smoke the material due to its harm on the lungs and get it from a trusted freind who grows with out the use of chemicals compleatly organic. I have a lot of christian freinds who smoke actualy and several who also use for a counter/ depression /anxiety drug. I would lobby for a legal prescription but the government has said marijuana has no use for such ailments even though there are cases of prescription marijuana in canada for depression and axiety. on the musical note i am in a jamband with a fellow belivers as well as a couple agnostics. for me improvisation is totaly about conection with god and words sometime have nothing to do with it. Sometimes its just about the use of scales and key modulation to open the conversation to the lord. also i am not perfect and i dont think marijuana is for everyone. and perhaps maybe jam music isnt either. but i know my self and i know how the jamband thing exposed new ideas about glorifying god to me. and i know that marijuana has acted as a medicine to me. godbless you guys its nice to have you folks to talk to.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/17/06 02:17 AM

Gosh , could we please just end the stupid drug discussion now? if anyone remembers this form is about christian jam bands , not smoking reefer.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/19/06 06:38 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jay-bird:
now as i was saying , Are there any christian bands out there who consistently have songs with guitar solos? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 06/20/06 03:42 AM

You know, the drug discussion isn't stupid, it's just misplaced. We need a spot here to talk about drugs because some of us here (not implacating ANYONE by that) have had past or current addictions and problems with drugs.

That being said it might be a nice idea to start a new thread.

As for your question try Thousand Foot Krutch or even Dashboard Confessional. They both have excellent guitar solos. However, DC tends to sing along with it where TFK has just instrumental songs.
Posted By: CCRN

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/22/06 01:17 AM

I, like some others, landed here after a Google search for Christian Jam Bands and found myself enjoying the community discussion! What a great resource for believers to draw strength!

Anyhoo, I guess I'm kind of seeing that there is a massive shortage of Christian Jam Bands out there. Some have added thoughts that such a thing would not be beneficial to Christians, but to those of us who make music a HUGE part of our everyday lives, using the type of music that speaks to us the most would be indispensable in strengthening our faith. Sure, instrumental music alone could lead to "mind wandering." However, while playing with my worship team on Sundays, some of the most uplifting, communal moments come when there are NO words being sung...only instrumental, albeit short, "jams."

It's during these times that members of the congregation internalize the song. Grab onto it and make it their method of worship. It channels us in the right direction. Something which starts with the lyrics being sung, then flows into exactly what each person needs to worship God. We sway, exhalt God with our voice, close eyes, smile, etc. And the music is there to help beautify that exact moment of worship for God.

As a musician, I feel I have been blessed with the ability to use a God-given gift to glorify God and help others do so through worship. The idea of a jam band is usually not strictly musical - elevator music-like. There are words. Phish is a great example. Aome songs have only half a verse or so, followed by intense wandering jams. Christian music could do just that as well. Start with a lyrical idea, some praise/worship to get those listening thinking in the right direction, then carry them through their own personal worship with a flowing, God-pleasing jam. Additionally, if playing to a secular crowd - as you would get a mixture of these types of fans through word of mouth or something, it's a great channel to minister to them. Give them some quality jams to ignite their interest, and before you know it, they're listening to the words, and singing them in their heads at work. The questions come next!

Way too long of a post here! Many apologies, but the idea of a Christ-centered jam band excites me!!!

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/22/06 02:14 AM

Welcome CCRN smile

I agree with most everything you've written as well. Music in all its forms can be worhipful - we can't limit what is worshipful or not depending on our tastes or preferences.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/22/06 08:40 AM

Yep! Sometimes you hafta stop singing to God so you can just love Him!
Posted By: CCRN

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/22/06 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
Yep! Sometimes you hafta stop singing to God so you can just love Him!

AMEN!! =O)
Posted By: pamperedchefgirl

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/02/06 01:51 PM

hey folks---

ok, i found this site and have read through all of the posts. i'm guessing there are no christian jam bands because out of everyone, no one's been able to come up with anything too close.

soooo, here's my vote for a "jam-type" band: 100 portraits, and the "enter the worship circle" cds..there are 3 so far.

as to the drug thing--one post and then i'm done because it does belong somewhere else--

my friend joanne had a great quote: "when a prostitute gets saved, don't worry about her cussing." i love that. it means to me that there are so many other issues going on with new (and not-so-new) believers that the stuff we may see on the surface (smoking, drugs, sex) are so surface compared to the deeper heart issues that God may be dealing with right then--obedience, sacrifice and becoming more like Christ that yelling and fussing at folks about what you may think are issues they need to change right then may actually be counter-productive and take their focus off of what God has for them to work on.

i remember a nye phish show at msg i think it was 12/31/95. i was outside drumming with my roommate from college--all of a sudden there were about 10 folks standing around us with big posters of flames and they were yelling that we were all going to hell and there were no drugs in hell. i started praying that whatever God's will was for those folks, it would happen--i wanted them to leave but i was praying that God would take them where He wanted them--it wasn't 5 minutes later, they headed somewhere else. that was not the right example for my roommate of what a christian is--i was trying to live a godly life and show her what a real christian walk looked like (the good, the bad and the ugly) and i didn't ever tell anyone they were going to hell--what's with that?

anyway, i digress--i love phish, i've never smoked pot or done any illegal drugs. i am on cymbalta--an anti-depressant that i found after years of raging and not being balanced and i love being myself--who God wants me to be.

also, check out relevant magazine if you haven't yet--it's great: www.relevantmag.com

love
rainbow

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/03/06 05:04 AM

Hey rainbow/pamperedchef girl, welcome - glad you're a part of the site wavey

We (my wife and I and a few others on the site) attend a pretty progressive church aimed at people who don't normally attend. We see all kinds of stuff in the service, to say the least. But it's just like you said, we can't harp on their smoking, drinking, whatever else they are doing... God takes care of that, our job is to show Christ's love. smile
Posted By: zach

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 11/20/06 03:47 PM

Hey i joined the program to inform you of christian groups who improvise and are instrumental in their worship. I also was into the groups before mentioned in your og post and have found that true community and love is found in Jesus Christ and flow from his true followers. The scenes of the groups you mentioned offered a substitute for reality but it is conterfeit. True freedom and identity and purpose is in an individuals progressive relationship with the Almighty. Anyway if you need to chat email me at thewaybelove@hotmail.com. The groups I have found to be characteristic of your taste is the Selah Project saw them live 2 years ago-incredible experience! and Morningstar Worship title awake volume 1. You will enjoy the live recordings. Alright brother, peace http://store.morningstarministries.org/cgi-bin/morning/ES6-032.html

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 11/21/06 02:11 AM

snippets sound pretty good. do they have a bunch of stuff, and is this the best of thier stuff for worship???
i think i am gonna get this one anyway to check it out.
Posted By: edzo1234

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/26/07 11:54 PM

I was looking for a Christian Jam band too (For a long time and with No Luck!) But!!!! Deep down on this thread I found THE BAND!!!! (I know you will like them if you're into the dead, Phish, Marley, Strangefolk . The band is WATERDEEP!!!

You can download their albums right from their site. It is what you're looking for. www.waterdeep.com I laugh out loud when I listen because I am so happy I found them!

A friend of there's is also amazing but not quite a jam band...name Robbie Seay band.
Posted By: edzo1234

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 02/27/07 12:01 AM

Rainbow, I believe you are looking for waterdeep (waterdeep.com) I found them through a thread way down below and I am hooked. (They aren't touring anymore-but then again Jerry's dead.) Waterdeep is great, long jams at times, awesome lyrics, really honest and great musicianship!

I hear everything y'all are saying about Jamming in worship. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free!

Posted By: manny

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/18/07 09:29 PM

Hey Now Brothers and Sisters!

I am a Christian Jamhead and would like to start a Christian Jamband in Metro Atlanta Georgia. I have played latin percussion and sang in other jambands and thought it would be great to start one with like minded folks, although the band wouldn't necessarily have to be labeled in any specific way.

Please reply or email me if interested, or if you have any words of wisdom regarding the subject!

Your brother in Christ,

Manny G.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/19/07 02:27 AM

Welcome Manny! wavey

I don't know of any musicians in Atlanta, but good luck on your new band and God Bless! thumbsup

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/19/07 01:15 PM

Hey Now Cbrown, You goin' to Athens Panic Show on the 24th by any chance?

Manny

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/19/07 01:18 PM

Thanks Allen! I look forward to some cool threads on here.

God Bless,

Manny

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/24/07 03:08 PM

Welcome thumbsup

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/01/07 01:50 AM

if you like blues this guy is moving into gospel from blues so he's got kind of a bluesy gospel sound... www.lightnincharlie.com
Charlie is an AMAZING guitar player!

these guys are kinda hardcore especially in concert www.myspace.com/firstatlast
Posted By: Willis

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/23/07 04:53 AM

Hey, new to the board!
Oteil and The Peacemakers is one of the best jam bands out there right now, period. No one has really labeled them as a "Christian jam band" but as far as I'm concerned, that's kinda what they are. Check 'em out http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y83bwYfuhzs&mode=related&search=

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/24/07 04:48 AM

Whatchoo Talkin About Willis?!?

Sorry, just had to wink

Welcome to the site. Are you a part of the band or a good fan? smile
Posted By: Willis

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/26/07 08:07 PM

I am not part of the band but I do have to admit that they are friends of mine (I'm a musician and share the same home town)...so I am a little biased. Not sure that I am all that much of a "good fan" simply because I have only been to see them once in the past 4 or 5 years....and even at that I didn't pay so the only "fan support" I offered was clapping.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 05/29/07 04:49 AM

smile

I knew/grew up with most of the band in Among Thorns yet I didn't hear them play until just the last few years smash They played everywhere except here once they started really playing together tongue
Posted By: ryantimo

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/02/07 03:40 AM

Hows it goin ive been playin guitar and listenin to jam bands for quite awhile now and just wanted to let you guys to know that this discussion helped me out a lot. Ive just recently stopped smokin the reefer and feel like i unlocked shackles from my arms. Anyways i thought Oteil Burbridge and the Peacemakers was amazing. I know he plays for the Allman Brothers Band and played for Aquirium Rescue Unit. His Brother Kofi plays in my favorite band the Derek Trucks Band. My view on seeing jam bands is if you think theres a possibility you might succumb to any of the evil that will be thrown at ya don't go. I praise God in prayer during the jams. I see jam bands as the easiest secular music to pray to. I recently went to a youth conference and Tom Booth was there who is an awesome guitarist worth checking out. God bless
Ryan

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/02/07 04:23 AM

Hey Ryan, Where are you located? I am in Georgia and looking to jam with fellow Christians!

Yours in the Holy Spirit,

Manny
Posted By: ryantimo

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/02/07 07:26 PM

I live in Southern California. Would love to jam if possible. God Bless

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/02/07 09:31 PM

I am in Georgia. Take Care Brother!

God Bless,

Manny
Posted By: deadhead

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/07 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Willis
Hey, new to the board!
Oteil and The Peacemakers is one of the best jam bands out there right now, period. No one has really labeled them as a "Christian jam band" but as far as I'm concerned, that's kinda what they are. Check 'em out http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y83bwYfuhzs&mode=related&search=

That's pretty impressive stuff! Thanks for the link!

...if anyone is into the Blues check out Slick Ballinger. He is amazing. Reminds me of a southern gospel preacher preaching... but with the blues. Amazing Stuff. Seen him live last year!

http://www.slicksblues.com/

Peace,
Jon

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 09/09/07 04:31 AM

Thanks for the links Jon, and welcome smile
Posted By: Mike7

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 10/18/07 04:56 PM

Check out 7 Thunders at www.MySpace.com/7Thunders
they are a christian jam band
Posted By: DasAmerikaner

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 10/19/07 02:24 PM

http://www.rorypartin.com
The site is being developed.
You can hear is sounds by going here http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rorypartin
Posted By: NewMike

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/12/08 06:00 AM

Hey everyone im kinda new to the forum thing, I know I'm so last century. Anyway I've just started trying to pull away from the old secular music i used to love. i'm a huge music lover but most of the stuff i liked was in the vien of metallica , pantera ,slayer. I can't listen to any of most of that stuff in good conscience anymore. Does anyone have and good alternatives that have heavy electric guitar fast tempo, or even really good fast rythmic acoustic?

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/12/08 02:57 PM

p.o.d. Is pretty cool.
There are lots. i would have to go find some. some of my friends have much of that style and i cant really tell the difference... until i read the lyrics.
this is a good link but not all current and not all inclusive.
http://www.metalforjesus.org/history.htm

Demon Hunter. Search Christian Metal or Christian death metal etc. You will get there. ther is definately an alternative.
Good Luck from an old Led Head.

Posted By: Sirens86

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/21/08 11:22 PM

Hey i joined this site because i am a christian who loves the "jam band" genre of music and have a hard time finding christian music that fits that category but for those who are like me i jsut wanted everyone to know that Waterdeep is an awesome band, i hope this will help some people out!

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/21/08 11:36 PM

Welcome Sirens86! wavey

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/22/08 12:51 AM

yes, waterdeep is kickin.
Posted By: Icculus

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/22/08 02:18 AM

Phellas, this is my opinion and nothing more.

I believe you should listen to music that makes you feel good. I am a phishhead, and also a deep believer in god. You dont have to do the drugs, live the life, or act like any of the people you see at the shows. If you are a real "lover" of music, then drugs and all that "goes" with music is irrelevant. I am the son of a baptist preacher, I have seen 50+ Phish shows on top of the numerous amount of other shows. Have I done drugs? Yes, lots of them. But have I come to realization that you dont need them? You better believe it. THE BEST PHISH SHOW I ever saw was without any drugs, alchohol, any substance. I learned then, I didnt need it. I learned that if you LOVE music, and I mean really love it, then you dont need anything to get you to the point where it feels good. I remember sitting in my father's church when I was younger, listening to religious bands and getting the same goosebumps. Loving secular music doesnt mean you are a sinner, I dont care what anyone on this site says. Doing what the secular crowd does, that is sin. Love your music, love your life, love your god, that is what is important.

By the way, if you know of a real christian jamband, id love to hear about it.

Also, if you live near Indianapolis, check out the Shadyside Allstars. They are not a christian band, but like I said, if you are really in it for the music and not the culture, then you should be fine.

God love.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/22/08 02:54 AM

Hi, I feel ya Brother! I am a Jam Head and have been to many shows and played in Jam bands. My problem is that I like to indulge when I get around it. I am working on this and getting better at it. The reason a "Christian" Jamband would be awesome is to bring people to Christ that do not know him. I have talked about God with people at shows and was surprised when many felt the same way I did! I would like to jam with some Christians in ATL if anyone is up for it. You don't have to label the band as Christian, and maybe that will even bring more folks to Christ!

Your Brother in the Holy Spirit,

Manny

Posted By: michellekay

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/22/08 06:50 PM

i also did a google search for christian jambands and found this site. it took me forever to read all the posts but i wrote down a lot of bands to check out. i like the blind boys of alabama--i think i would classify them as a christian jamband. i saw them at bonnaroo and they were awesome! feel free to email me at michellekay80@comcast.net with any comments/suggestions.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/23/08 04:18 AM

our church will be at Bonaroo this year evangelising. Pray for us.
It is about 25 minutes from where i live. Every year someone dies from drugs or dehydration or both. We are going to hand out water and such and spread the gospel.

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/23/08 04:27 AM

Sweet, never heard of Bonaroo, some beautilful country up there to get together in tho smile

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 01/23/08 12:27 PM

it is a modern wood stock gathering - literally thousands and thousands at the event over 3 days. lots of bands and always headlined by 2-3 major acts. rumored to have Led Zep reunion this year. Last year was The Police reunion. Dave matthews has been there. Lots of rock and alternative Indie style jam bands.musically it is excellent. culturally it is a cesspool of drugs and partying.
hallucingoenics and x.
they are nonetheless children of God and need salvation and prayer like the rest of us do/did.
Posted By: AaronBassplyr

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 04/15/08 01:48 PM

I agree with Icculus I listen to umphreys mcgee (another secular jamband) and i have no problem with them and my faith, many of their songs show the influence of gods will.

Believe the lie lyrics -
"If you believe in every lie
You're never free to walk away
You should be free to go hell."

Divisions

"Moments of division, lord but I can't see
contemplate my motion, who am I to be.

then it fades, far gone
it's my sin
soul embrace
soul the same
soul embraced
soul the same"

I also love phish...

Silent in the morning
"My glance is always darting, when I stroll the avenue
Avoiding all the obstacles that terrorize my view
If you are here with me, I trust you to lead the way
When youre not I follow you, and always go astray

Silent in the morning
Suspended in the trees
Lunch time comes youve found your voice
It brings me to my knees
The volume just increases
The resounding echoes grow
Till once again I bask in morning stillness, I love so

The target that I shoot for seems to move with every breath
I tighten all my arteries and make one last request
Divine creation hears me, and he squashes me with fear
I think that this exact thing happened to me, just last year"

You see God can be found even in the most unexpected places... it turned me away from the drug life... however it is things like these that did it for me... however i agree the atmosphere is only for the strong Christian who has huge self control to actually go to the shows.
Posted By: Widespread

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 07/15/11 12:41 PM

I have been searching for a long time to an answer for this question. I have been and still am a big fan of Widespread Panic, Phish, Railroad Earth, and many others. I have accepted the lord into my life and I feel like I need to be in the word and glorifying God as much as possible. I really like the live stuff from Waterdeep. I recommend the live Waterdeep CD that you can find anywhere online. The Selah Project has a pretty good live CD out as well. The only problem with both of these bands is that they don’t play together anymore so you can’t see them live. I have honestly found that there are no good Christian jam bands that are currently touring. I hope there is some young talent reading these discussions because there is some opportunity in this area. I still listen to all the old jam bands that I have always listened to and I still go to their shows. We all know that there are plenty of people at these shows who could use a little God in their life so maybe the lack of Christian jam bands is Gods way of telling me to do some outreach in these areas.

I did find one band really worth checking out. They still play and have some great studio stuff out there. They are kind of a rockin blues band. I don’t think they are a jam band but they have a lot of long songs and they have a fresh and edgy sound. Just go to grooveshark. com and search "Thieves and Liars" These guys are a Christian Band so there is a great message that can be taken from their songs.

This discussion has really helped me personally. Please keep searching for great music with a great message. Let’s all pray that Gods will for Christian music would be done and maybe one day Christian music will have an epic jam band.
Posted By: Jamfreak

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/26/11 04:59 AM

Wow. It's been a while since anyone has posted here, but this is really cool. I've spent the last hour plus reading every post. I have been a Christian for quite a while, and my biggest complaint as a Christian musician is the quality of Christian music that is released to this type of community. Everyone needs Jesus. If we as Christians are constantly putting out second rate material, it all just seems like the typical bible beater stuff. The Waterdeep suggestion is a pretty good and close one.

As far as a Jam band worship type of experience, the Morningstar ministries worship sessions are what every former festival goer should attend at least once. First of all, the power of God is incomprehensible, and most of which were pretty much, shall we in this thread say, our style of personalities. I enjoyed reading most of this thread. Thank you all for brotherly and sisterly guidance. It's nice to know there are many other believers much like myself.

Praise (and worship) be to God!

Re: Christian Jam bands? - 08/26/11 07:44 PM

Welcome Jamfreak smile
© 2024 PraiseCafe