Home

caroline's journey

Posted By: Allen

caroline's journey - 05/04/04 03:09 AM

I came across this tonight while putting off my work due here. It's a well-written piece by Tony Woodlief about his daughter Caroline:

"You have been leaving a little at a time: first your hair, then your smile, then your words. How can you be my little girl without them? But I know you are; you feel the same when I carry you, close - so I don't have to look. I have to carry you, until the pain is so bad that we can't go anywhere except to sleep, in our big bed, but the sleep is always too short, for you are in a hurry.

You are trapped behind your swollen, twisted face, and I can't set you free. Your body is a battlefield between disease and medicine, the only question is which will take you first But you have other questions, as you stare up at me, as you moan from pain, as you wheeze from the morphine. I try to answer them, I try to sing them away, but my voice betrays me.

And in the end, you leave so suddenly, as everyone does. One sigh, then two, then none. You always went to get your shoes when you saw I was leaving. Now it's my turn to wonder why I can't come with you."

frown

The story can be found here:
http://www.bansheestudios.net/suddenfiction/050102_woodlief.htm

With Caroline's story found here:
http://woodliecaroline.blogspot.com/

I found this while admiring pictures of his beautiful daughter here:
http://www.tonywoodlief.com/archives/000990.html (at the bottom of the page)

OK, good reading there, enough links from me smile

Re: caroline's journey - 05/04/04 03:09 AM

Puts lots in perspective.
Posted By: Andy

Re: caroline's journey - 05/04/04 03:22 AM

*wipes the tears from his eyes*

It surely does!
Posted By: Steve

Re: caroline's journey - 05/04/04 03:42 AM

Yeah it does.
Posted By: Amy Lou

Re: caroline's journey - 05/04/04 10:45 PM

Personally it makes me angry!! I just don't understand tragic suffering why it's necessary and why God allows it!! Especially innocent children!!! smash
I have faith and trust God is in control but that doesn't mean I understand it or ever will!

Puts things in perspective?? I'm too angry too see it, care to elaborate??

Re: caroline's journey - 05/04/04 11:27 PM

Whoa there tongue

God is in control, yes... but I believe what happens to us is mostly a result of our choices. Fair and just? Who knows... what makes it any better if the person who dies is 22 and has 2 young boys at home?

What is being put into perspective is our infatuation with things that really mean nada when it comes to the bigger picture. The final episode of 'Friends', the latest fashion, the fight over who takes the trash out, the arguing over whose religion is more correct - all that pales into comparison with losing a loved one.

Re: caroline's journey - 05/05/04 12:34 AM

Thanks! shocked I was too caught up in how sad it was to see the perspective of what all of you were referring to! I know what you're talking about now!! smile

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> God is in control, yes... but I believe what happens to us is mostly a result of our choices. Fair and just? Who knows... what makes it any better if the person who dies is 22 and has 2 young boys at home? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe that too what happens to us is mostly a result of our choices. The loss to a family is no different if the person were a child or an adult who died. I was only thinking about the suffering of the person dying not of suffering of the family that survived!! I just don't understand suffering from either perspective!! smash

No life is not fair and just, in the end it will be tho.!!! hoppy
Posted By: UnconventionalKrisChen

Re: caroline's journey - 05/05/04 01:23 AM

Thanks Allen.

Re: caroline's journey - 05/05/04 03:46 AM

You're welcome smile

I was first reading the last link and thought 'what a beautiful child, those are great pictures'. Then I saw the story behind it and it struck me stronger than most anything has in a long time. The pictures remind me of pictures of my nephew Caleb at that age, about the same time Caleb came down with leukemia. Caleb survived and has been in remission for ~8 years now, but the images of Caroline still hit hard. smirk

My friend's daughter with leukemia is named caroline too - she's got a long road ahead of her still...
Posted By: UnconventionalKrisChen

Re: caroline's journey - 05/05/04 02:12 PM

Praying for Caleb to stay in remission, for Caroline to be blessed and all other children that need Gods mercy.

Re: caroline's journey - 05/05/04 03:21 PM

Yes, thanks Allen!!!

Praying for all those things as well!!!

The pictures of Caroline are absolutely precious!!!
© 2024 PraiseCafe