Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The New Jerusalem. #61139 09/04/08 06:57 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
Discuss...

I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other— This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! -- Joseph Smith History 1:17
Re: The New Jerusalem. [Re: Joel33] #61143 09/05/08 03:47 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I haven't been to the old one yet.

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: The New Jerusalem. [Re: Allen] #61147 09/05/08 03:05 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
Me neither

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name.
Revelations 3:12

Some city that will come down out of heaven - so not simply just the rebuilt Jerusalem of our time.

and Revelations 21:1-5
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God [is] with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, [and be] their God.

Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Again, New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven.

I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other— This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! -- Joseph Smith History 1:17
Re: The New Jerusalem. [Re: Joel33] #61148 09/05/08 04:22 PM
Echo Offline
Disciple
Disciple
The New Jerusalem came down out of heaven when Jesus was born, lived, suffered and was crucified. He paid our sins in full asking nothing in return, we don't have to pay him back.

By faith alone, we are now members of the New Jerusalem.
Even after Jesus rose and went into heaven, he continues to reign in the heavenly city (New Jerusalem)of which we continue as its citizens by faith.

When Jesus returns, we will be citizens of the New Jerusalem by sight rather than by faith.

MEMBER OF THE WISCONSIN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN SYNOD (WELS)
Re: The New Jerusalem. [Re: Echo] #61149 09/05/08 04:23 PM
Joel33 Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
I believe at this point in the Book of Revelation it's actually talking about the last days. but I could be wrong

Re: The New Jerusalem. [Re: Joel33] #61150 09/05/08 04:41 PM
Echo Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I believe your right that it is talking about when Jesus returns at the end because of verse 21:4 "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

Last edited by Echo; 09/05/08 04:43 PM.

Re: The New Jerusalem. [Re: Echo] #61158 09/06/08 03:30 PM
Echo Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Below is another verse about the "New Jerusalem."

It's a Great analogy that explains that those who think they are saved by faith+works(slave woman, slave to the law) are considered the Old Jerusalem and those who believe they are saved by faith alone(free woman, free from law) are the New Jerusalem because they believe eternal life is a free gift from God. It's God's promise to us that eternal life is a gift which we don't have to pay back. See Here:

Galatians 4:21-31 "Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says?

For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman.

His son by the slave woman was born in the ordinary way; but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a promise.

These things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar.

Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children.

But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother.

For it is written:
"Be glad, O barren woman,
who bears no children;
break forth and cry aloud,
you who have no labor pains;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
than of her who has a husband."

Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise.

At that time the son born in the ordinary way persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now.

But what does the Scripture say? "Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman's son."

Therefore, brothers, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.

Last edited by Echo; 09/06/08 03:34 PM.

Moderated by  foreverchanged, Steve 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 279 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20