Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NBC's Book of Daniel #5845 01/09/06 11:00 PM
Crazy-like-a-fox Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
After seeing the commericials for the show I would not watch it.

I sent an email from AFR that hit my inbox today to a friend of mine. She replied to me. She said: </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Grandkids' other grandma and I decided to watch the show, thinking that we would give it the benefit of the doubt. We watched it until the very end. We hated it. I don't know if you watched it at all, but, it was despicable!! The priest kept using the Lord's name in vain, one son is gay, the other son is a smart mouth and permiscuious, the mom is an alcoholic, the sister-in-law had her husband killed (I think) and turned to lesbianism, and the priest abuses pain medication, and the daughter sells marijuana. And now, the next episodes are going to deal with the fact that $3 million was stolen from the church that was to be used to build a new church or school, (can't remember which) and that in order for the new church or school to be built, the priest has to agree to let the mob build it.

This was a bad movie, and will be a bad series of shows. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It might be just me but as soon as something hits my spiritual nerve I want it gone if possible. I have done it to my children. I have made them turn the channel or just flat out shut the TV off. To me it is the same as running your finger nails down a chalk board. I just do not understand someone watching trash hoping it might get better.

No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5846 01/10/06 01:40 AM
embie Offline
Queen
Disciple
Queen
Disciple
I read this week's article in Time about that show. They interviewed Jack Kenney (sp?), the show's creator. He is an Episcopalian and he is also a homosexual. He claims his sexual preference did not have anything to do with the story line, but I find that hard to believe since one of the characters happens to be gay. What I oppose mostly is that the show presents some of the worst that humanity has to offer, and packs it all into a family that they try to pass off as a "normal" Christian family, all to get a laugh smash . It makes a mockery of Christianity. frown

Rachel and Michael's youth pastor received a mailing telling us where to write if we didn't want the show to be aired. I'm going to write. The more I see what Hollywood has to offer the small screen audience, the more appealing the SkyAngel network is becoming.

When I don't measure up to much in this life, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ.
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5847 01/10/06 04:04 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
The previews seemed a bit anti-Christian at least, possibly blasphemous.

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5848 01/10/06 04:52 AM
SenorElMouse Offline
Disciple
Disciple
What did you honestly expect though? I mean, they've flat out quit shows that show Christianity in a good light. Way I figgure, don't worry about it. Religion is about you, not what everyone else thinks of you. Besides, isn't this what Christ told his followers that they must suffer through in order to get to salvation? Offer it up and let it pass.

Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5849 01/12/06 03:40 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
"Seventh Heaven" portrays Christians in a good light, tho they are a bit overly dramatic with the dialogue smile

My wife watches it religiously wink

Christ did not tell us we must suffer by watching bad television tongue It's ridiculousness will sink it shortly.

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5850 01/12/06 07:41 PM
Joel33 Offline
Disciple
Disciple
HBO is launching a new show called Big Love shortly. It depicts a devoutly religious family living in Utah who happen to be polygamists.

HBO has come out and said they aren't depicting Mormons specifically, but they also haven't agreed, last I heard, to include a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode to point out that this show ain't about Mormons.

TV sucks.

I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the otheró This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! -- Joseph Smith History 1:17
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5851 01/12/06 09:33 PM
SenorElMouse Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Do regular shows about normal families sell these days? Heck no.

Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5852 01/13/06 12:13 AM
anangelsarms Offline
Disciple
Disciple
weird. i saw the previews of book of daniel, and i can do without the cynicism and blatant glamourizing of disfunctionalism at its worst to get ratings. i DOUBT it will be on long. i think they are going for shock value or people who like controversy or whatever.

whatever happened to "touched by an angel" ?

tell me where to write to say "no" to this show.

-hanging in there- Jenna Clark
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5853 01/13/06 02:17 AM
NABSTER Offline
Disciple
Disciple
DITTO JOEL33. I AM SO SICK OF THE reality tv junk, and the gossip shows and the runway glamour , and especially what the Bible calls lasciviousness all over the place ,,,sex sex sex, no consequences, 1/2 hour/ one hour and it is over and everyone is okay. i hate it....i am pressing into GOD more these days and it makes me relaize just how far from God television actually is. it is devilish and anti bible everywhere you turn.
i dont watch it and I dont like my family absorbing all the garbage in it. i even saw some cartoon my youngest was watching and the dad had two sons, one he praised constantly and one he couldnt even get his name right, his name was rick, guess what dad called him over and over again....you guessed it, rhymes but starts with D. furthermore while i rant, apparently the GD word isnt a curse word any more...i guess because God is acceptable and da** is acceptable ...put em together and it is "okay". late night cable has no censorship anymore...comedy central late night has every word including the MF one and no beeps or bleeps....WHAT IS GOING ON?!!!
makes me absolutely cringe. the term hell in a handbasket comes to mind for this country....
i am done now.and now i am angry again.awwwww shoooot. crud muffins, poo poo, dad blast it....and hogwash.
madnabster

Psalm 91
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5854 01/13/06 04:28 AM
Echo Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Has anybody gone to see the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe yet?

MEMBER OF THE WISCONSIN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN SYNOD (WELS)
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5855 01/13/06 03:05 PM
anangelsarms Offline
Disciple
Disciple
i havent but my in laws and my sister have seen it and they really liked it. they said the christian correlation was wonderful and even if you didnt know it was a story about christ etc, it would be enjoyable. i read all the books and was a c.s. lewis addict, even through reading "the screwtape letters" ... it is worth seeing from what i hear. i most likely will chose NOT to see it, because i want to cement what i imagined it all to look like from when i read it as a child, i am funny that way, but from what i hear .. it is good.

-hanging in there- Jenna Clark
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5856 01/13/06 03:47 PM
Joel33 Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I've heard people refer to it as "The Passion of the Lion"

When all the kids get healthy and we can get a sitter, it's first on our list.

I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the otheró This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! -- Joseph Smith History 1:17
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5857 01/13/06 04:54 PM
embie Offline
Queen
Disciple
Queen
Disciple
We saw it. It was incredible. I had one reservation though, one thing that really disturbed me, which I will hold back until others have seen it.

The special effects are awesome and the time FLIES. I could not believe that 2 1/2 hours went by so fast.

Joel, (and others) not sure how little your kids are, but there are some startling effects, some scarey odd creatures and much fighting. (Never any bloodshed shown though). You might want to view it first to see if it's acceptable for little ones.

When I don't measure up to much in this life, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ.
Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5858 01/13/06 11:22 PM
Echo Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Embie, my son is 5. But he watches shows like spiderman which has fighting in it. Would it be worse than that? Is the movie rated for family?

Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5859 01/14/06 06:34 AM
embie Offline
Queen
Disciple
Queen
Disciple
Hi Echo,

Hmmm...well I'm not sure. The rating is PG. When we went, my girlfriend and her husband brought their two children 6 and 4. She was pretty smart and had them take along their favorite stuffed animals that they could bury their heads in if they needed to.

They needed to... smile

There really does need to be parental guidance as some of the characters are half human and half animal, and the witch is not nice. eek

Excellent symbolism though.

Re: NBC's Book of Daniel #5860 01/14/06 08:07 AM
Echo Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Thanks Embie smile

Moderated by  embie, foreverchanged 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 191 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
STEVO777
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17