Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tipping Etiquette #57131 08/30/07 01:11 PM
embie Offline OP
Queen
Disciple
OP Offline
Queen
Disciple
This morning I got a flat tire. A good Samaritan stopped to help me but the lugnuts were on so tight his entire body weight couldn't budge them. I called my insurance company and they sent out a wrecker dude to do it. He could not believe how hard it was. He had to change tools 3 times and he kept holding his back and trying to stretch out the pain. eek

My question is, are you supposed to tip service people like that? I did, but I don't know what the rules are. What is the rule for tipping luggage handlers? Do you tip the shuttle driver from off airport parking? What about movers that are moving the contents of your home? What about the carpet cleaners or the dog groomers? They are all getting paid through the price of the service, are you supposed to tip them as well? What about the person that owns the business but is doing the work? help

When I don't measure up to much in this life, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ.
Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: embie] #57133 08/30/07 04:25 PM
Steve Offline
Disciple
Disciple
The ones I tip are the ones that give extraordinary service. Movers, I feed and give drinks to.

For example your tow truck driver, he did not necesarily go out of his way because he was paid to go and take that tire off and put on a spare. Not that you couldn't stil be generous.

Another: An A/C mechanic shows up to trouble-shoot your system. Your attic is 135 degrees (really) he replaces the fan motor (and bills you) but also cleans the coils and purges the condensate line as a preventative. (not on the bill) He is well paid but he also went above and beyond.

"I'm part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made - I'm a disciple of HIS.
www.Real-Men.net
Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: Steve] #57137 08/31/07 03:39 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Usual/customary for people who handle your luggage is $1/bag. Maybe more if you are generous. I try to tip when possible, sometimes I have money, sometimes I don't smash

I also tip/not tip based on level of service - there's an old standard where if service is poor that you leave 2 pennies, face down. That lets the person know you didn't just forget, you felt like you rec'd poor service. I really do not like when tips are automatically added, whether service is good or bad.

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: Allen] #57142 08/31/07 12:40 PM
embie Offline OP
Queen
Disciple
OP Offline
Queen
Disciple
What about my other examples? And what do you tip a cab driver? I always tip 20% in restaurants if the service is good. What about tipping for Buffets? Once when I moved the mover didn't want money he wanted my air conditioner... ROFL... so I gave it to him. smile

When I don't measure up to much in this life, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ.
Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: embie] #57144 08/31/07 02:39 PM
D
David Offline
Disciple
Disciple
D
I tip a cab if they've assisted with luggage and/or if they've driven well and straight to the destination. I also watch the meter, and if the total 'jumps' right as we're reaching the destination, or starts with money already on it smash , I don't tip.

- David
- Consider the daffodil, and while you are doing that, I'll be over here going through your stuff.
Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: David] #57145 09/01/07 12:57 AM
embie Offline OP
Queen
Disciple
OP Offline
Queen
Disciple
My aunt refuses to tip waitresses. She says they should work somewhere that pays more money if their wages are not good enough... rolleyes

Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: embie] #57148 09/01/07 02:55 AM
anangelsarms Offline
Disciple
Disciple
my mom is a "bad tipper" but i worked on the other side of the table, and tips are really appreciated. i tip every single human being. when i get my house cleaned, (which is every 4 months or so) they charge a ridiculous 70 bucks for this huge house, and my feeling is, if i could do it myself, but i had someone else do it, i tip. 15% is standard at a rest. but i do 20 if it's good. i tip the movers, again something i couldve done but "hired out" but things like service on a.c. units, wreckers (who make a ton anyway) and other things like that, i dont usually.

i tip at buffets if the person checks and clears etc. they must make lots less than usual wait staff. what gets me is ... at restaurants that are "high end" and you eat like 80 bucks worth of dinner, that is a heck of a tip at 20% and you might get the same amount of service at black eyed pea or luby's and leave the same percent. is that fair ? doesnt seem so. bummer.

what about when you get your hair cut or nails/eyebrows done ? what is the rule there ?

-hanging in there- Jenna Clark
Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: anangelsarms] #57149 09/01/07 02:04 PM
embie Offline OP
Queen
Disciple
OP Offline
Queen
Disciple
I tip 20% at salons/spas. But THAT could be a hefty tip considering how expensive some of their services are. But like Allen said, sometimes I want to give the people some dollars but I'm caught off guard. I use an ATM card for almost everything, so if I'm not planning on it, I don't necessarily have anything but change in my pocketbook. Last month I went to visit a gf from Florida at her cabin in upstate NY. I went one route there and a different route back. One the way back I had to cross a toll bridge. :EEK: I had to pull to the side and write a check for $1.00 smash

Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: embie] #57158 09/03/07 04:30 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
hehe, I've done something similar for the same reason - if it weren't for David's daycare wanting a check every Monday we might not ever write checks again.

If I'm eating at a restaurant and the tip for an inexpensive meal isn't much, I'll give a flat $2-4 depening on how the service was. I still don't tip for poor service, but will try to make it worthwhile for the person if service is extra good smile

The person who cuts my hair refuses tips - it's her salon tho and she charges plenty for a basic haircut smash Otherwise I'd tip close to 20% everywhere I tip.

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: Allen] #57162 09/04/07 03:18 AM
anangelsarms Offline
Disciple
Disciple
what about at sonic ? now you can pay by c.card for the exact amount, so if it becomes "technically" a drive thru, why should i tip ? if i have it, i will, like .50-1.00, but they always look at me like i need to.

-hanging in there- Jenna Clark
Re: Tipping Etiquette [Re: anangelsarms] #57163 09/04/07 01:36 PM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I usually do if the service is good, and it usually is smile

- Allen [Linked Image]

Moderated by  embie, foreverchanged 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
Allan
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17