Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why God, why? #56889 07/27/07 12:24 AM
Steve Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
Why God, Why?
A message

Let the “why's” commence. Why did a little girl so precious and full of life have to be taken from us? Why did a little girl who didn't hurt anyone have to get such a disease? Why did a child with such bright eyes and quick smile have to endure such? Why when there is such hate and evil in the world was a lamp of goodness extinguished?

I am willing to bet that each of you have asked one of those questions in some form or another today. First let me set the record straight if there was ever any question, God did not send this disease as a test, nor as punishment. There are loving Christians that believe that “God will not give you more than you can handle.” That is not exactly accurate. The actual verse is:

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Well then, are we being tempted? You know, some of us just might be, but Brittany's family is not. God is not the author of confusion, doubt, fear, despair or sickness. Why her? Why us? I can safely say that God did not send this to any of us but just look what happened when He did get involved.

A whole community has gotten involved across doctrinal, economic, cultural and even religious lines that normally would have not allowed people to connect. I have seen people from Connecticut to California who have been moved into prayer. People have started praying who have never before uttered a syllable. All the while people have talked more about God than they would have in any other set of circumstances. God does not author situations like this, but His hand is evident in the results.

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose

Sometimes people mistake that verse to imply that bad things will not happen to Christians, not so. That verse is the very essence of what has happened here in our lives who have been touched by this situation and a blessing of a little girl. I must interject that the verse says that all things work for our “good,” not for our “wants.” It has been my experience that we often find God's hand in things be looking back at them sometimes after much time has passed. After we get through the loss of our “wants” we can look at the situation and see how God guided us through it.

Why now? Why her? God knows her physiology better than the doctors do. God made her! God is also the Alpha and the Omega and knows the beginning and the end. He knows what the doctors can do and what they cannot do. He knows what the future would have held should He have let Brittany stay with us. God's timing is perfect, and He is motivated by Love.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: 2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,

So what now? I grieved today with many of you. My sorrow is probably similar to yours. But, I did not grieve for Brittany. I am not sorry for her. She is with God where there is no more suffering, regrets, tears or pain. There is only unending joy! My grief is for my own sense of loss and my sorrow is for a grieving family. If Brittany is whole now then what are we supposed to do? Lets look at the life of a man who had a heart that was close to God's who also experienced the loss of a child.

2 Samuel 12:16 David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and went into his house and spent the nights lying on the ground. 17 The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them. 18 On the seventh day the child died. David's servants were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they thought, "While the child was still living, we spoke to David but he would not listen to us. How can we tell him the child is dead? He may do something desperate." 19 David noticed that his servants were whispering among themselves and he realized the child was dead. "Is the child dead?" he asked. "Yes," they replied, "he is dead." 20 Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the Lord and worshiped. Then he went to his own house, and at his request they served him food, and he ate. 21 His servants asked him, "Why are you acting this way? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept, but now that the child is dead, you get up and eat!" 22 He answered, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, 'Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.' 23 But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

There are two things that we need to grasp out of this. First David “got up.” He got up spiritually, emotionally and physically. Scripture is trying to tell us that at some point we must continue our lives. Just like when Jesus healed many people he told them to “pick up their bed” and walk. If you pack up your bed, it is hard go get back in it. David got up out of his misery and decided to move forward, not in denial of what happened, but in remembrance and purpose of life. The second is that we should worship. God is still the God of the universe even when we are sad.

Because of Brittany my life is different. I cherish people deeper. I yearn to be better, more accessible, more charitable. I am more patient. I forgive quicker. I understand the meaning of time. I watched how one person, without ever personally typing a single post turned a bunch of people into a community. Because of Brittany I have tears in my eyes, eyes that have only wept on two other occasions in my adult life. Because of Brittany I am better than I was before I met her.

Ladies and gentlemen what a treasure we have been given, a gift, a privilege to have been able to help, to pray, to reach out, to cherish even for such a short time. I will never forget those bright eyes and that quick shy smile. To God be the glory!

"I'm part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made - I'm a disciple of HIS.
www.Real-Men.net
Re: Why God, why? [Re: Steve] #56891 07/27/07 02:11 AM
embie Offline
Queen
Disciple
Queen
Disciple
Amen and Amen. \0/

Beautiful Steve, very beautiful.

When I don't measure up to much in this life, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ.
Re: Why God, why? [Re: embie] #56893 07/27/07 03:42 PM
Steve Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
Thanks, He is amazingly good!

"I'm part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made - I'm a disciple of HIS.
www.Real-Men.net

Moderated by  foreverchanged, Steve 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
Allan
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17