Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Christian Jam bands? #5383 05/24/06 03:20 PM
W
Waalyn Offline
W
OK I killed it on the jaw harp. I'll stand down so someone else can join. I didn't want to overshadow you all with my massive jawharp talent. tipsy

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Re: Christian Jam bands? #5384 06/16/06 12:32 AM
J
Jay Bird Offline
J
Are there any christian bands out there who consistently have songs with guitar solos?

Jesus = there's help for neurotic jerks like me after all!
Re: Christian Jam bands? #5385 06/16/06 02:00 AM
Y
yashuatree Offline
Y
Hello all. To be honest i gota tell you I have met many freinds who are fellow jamband heads who became belivers becasue of a good or bad drug experiance usaly a halucinogen. granted the intensity of revelation in tha state of mind usaly lead to that person(s) quiting said substance my friends and myself can atest to the fact that becuase of those experiances we turned to the lord. I have been a beliver since i was very young, i was moving toward atheism during my teen years due to freinds and a trumatic experiance and I can honestly say a bad acid trip straightend me right out and had me turning back to god. I ended my use shortyl after that. but continue to use herb becasue i have tried antiaxiety and depression drugs ( several ) and found all to be bad nasty substances that have negitively effected my psyche and I can honestly say in marijuana I have not suffered similar symptoms. Also i dont smoke the material due to its harm on the lungs and get it from a trusted freind who grows with out the use of chemicals compleatly organic. I have a lot of christian freinds who smoke actualy and several who also use for a counter/ depression /anxiety drug. I would lobby for a legal prescription but the government has said marijuana has no use for such ailments even though there are cases of prescription marijuana in canada for depression and axiety. on the musical note i am in a jamband with a fellow belivers as well as a couple agnostics. for me improvisation is totaly about conection with god and words sometime have nothing to do with it. Sometimes its just about the use of scales and key modulation to open the conversation to the lord. also i am not perfect and i dont think marijuana is for everyone. and perhaps maybe jam music isnt either. but i know my self and i know how the jamband thing exposed new ideas about glorifying god to me. and i know that marijuana has acted as a medicine to me. godbless you guys its nice to have you folks to talk to.

Re: Christian Jam bands? #5386 06/17/06 02:17 AM
J
Jay Bird Offline
J
Gosh , could we please just end the stupid drug discussion now? if anyone remembers this form is about christian jam bands , not smoking reefer.

Re: Christian Jam bands? #5387 06/19/06 06:38 PM
J
Jay Bird Offline
J
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jay-bird:
now as i was saying , Are there any christian bands out there who consistently have songs with guitar solos? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Re: Christian Jam bands? #5388 06/20/06 03:42 AM
SenorElMouse Offline
Disciple
Disciple
You know, the drug discussion isn't stupid, it's just misplaced. We need a spot here to talk about drugs because some of us here (not implacating ANYONE by that) have had past or current addictions and problems with drugs.

That being said it might be a nice idea to start a new thread.

As for your question try Thousand Foot Krutch or even Dashboard Confessional. They both have excellent guitar solos. However, DC tends to sing along with it where TFK has just instrumental songs.

Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: SenorElMouse] #53895 08/22/06 01:17 AM
C
CCRN Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
C
I, like some others, landed here after a Google search for Christian Jam Bands and found myself enjoying the community discussion! What a great resource for believers to draw strength!

Anyhoo, I guess I'm kind of seeing that there is a massive shortage of Christian Jam Bands out there. Some have added thoughts that such a thing would not be beneficial to Christians, but to those of us who make music a HUGE part of our everyday lives, using the type of music that speaks to us the most would be indispensable in strengthening our faith. Sure, instrumental music alone could lead to "mind wandering." However, while playing with my worship team on Sundays, some of the most uplifting, communal moments come when there are NO words being sung...only instrumental, albeit short, "jams."

It's during these times that members of the congregation internalize the song. Grab onto it and make it their method of worship. It channels us in the right direction. Something which starts with the lyrics being sung, then flows into exactly what each person needs to worship God. We sway, exhalt God with our voice, close eyes, smile, etc. And the music is there to help beautify that exact moment of worship for God.

As a musician, I feel I have been blessed with the ability to use a God-given gift to glorify God and help others do so through worship. The idea of a jam band is usually not strictly musical - elevator music-like. There are words. Phish is a great example. Aome songs have only half a verse or so, followed by intense wandering jams. Christian music could do just that as well. Start with a lyrical idea, some praise/worship to get those listening thinking in the right direction, then carry them through their own personal worship with a flowing, God-pleasing jam. Additionally, if playing to a secular crowd - as you would get a mixture of these types of fans through word of mouth or something, it's a great channel to minister to them. Give them some quality jams to ignite their interest, and before you know it, they're listening to the words, and singing them in their heads at work. The questions come next!

Way too long of a post here! Many apologies, but the idea of a Christ-centered jam band excites me!!!

Prov 3:5-6 =O)

"I'd like to replace the idea that peace is the absense of war with the idea that peace is the presence of God." ~DJM
Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: CCRN] #53897 08/22/06 02:14 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Welcome CCRN smile

I agree with most everything you've written as well. Music in all its forms can be worhipful - we can't limit what is worshipful or not depending on our tastes or preferences.

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: Allen] #53901 08/22/06 08:40 AM
Steve Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Yep! Sometimes you hafta stop singing to God so you can just love Him!

"I'm part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made - I'm a disciple of HIS.
www.Real-Men.net
Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: Steve] #53903 08/22/06 12:17 PM
C
CCRN Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
C
Originally Posted by Steve
Yep! Sometimes you hafta stop singing to God so you can just love Him!

AMEN!! =O)

Prov 3:5-6 =O)

"I'd like to replace the idea that peace is the absense of war with the idea that peace is the presence of God." ~DJM
Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: thaartoflife] #54038 09/02/06 01:51 PM
P
pamperedchefgirl Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
P
hey folks---

ok, i found this site and have read through all of the posts. i'm guessing there are no christian jam bands because out of everyone, no one's been able to come up with anything too close.

soooo, here's my vote for a "jam-type" band: 100 portraits, and the "enter the worship circle" cds..there are 3 so far.

as to the drug thing--one post and then i'm done because it does belong somewhere else--

my friend joanne had a great quote: "when a prostitute gets saved, don't worry about her cussing." i love that. it means to me that there are so many other issues going on with new (and not-so-new) believers that the stuff we may see on the surface (smoking, drugs, sex) are so surface compared to the deeper heart issues that God may be dealing with right then--obedience, sacrifice and becoming more like Christ that yelling and fussing at folks about what you may think are issues they need to change right then may actually be counter-productive and take their focus off of what God has for them to work on.

i remember a nye phish show at msg i think it was 12/31/95. i was outside drumming with my roommate from college--all of a sudden there were about 10 folks standing around us with big posters of flames and they were yelling that we were all going to hell and there were no drugs in hell. i started praying that whatever God's will was for those folks, it would happen--i wanted them to leave but i was praying that God would take them where He wanted them--it wasn't 5 minutes later, they headed somewhere else. that was not the right example for my roommate of what a christian is--i was trying to live a godly life and show her what a real christian walk looked like (the good, the bad and the ugly) and i didn't ever tell anyone they were going to hell--what's with that?

anyway, i digress--i love phish, i've never smoked pot or done any illegal drugs. i am on cymbalta--an anti-depressant that i found after years of raging and not being balanced and i love being myself--who God wants me to be.

also, check out relevant magazine if you haven't yet--it's great: www.relevantmag.com

love
rainbow

Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: pamperedchefgirl] #54042 09/03/06 05:04 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Hey rainbow/pamperedchef girl, welcome - glad you're a part of the site wavey

We (my wife and I and a few others on the site) attend a pretty progressive church aimed at people who don't normally attend. We see all kinds of stuff in the service, to say the least. But it's just like you said, we can't harp on their smoking, drinking, whatever else they are doing... God takes care of that, our job is to show Christ's love. smile

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: thaartoflife] #54863 11/20/06 03:47 PM
Z
zach Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
Z
Hey i joined the program to inform you of christian groups who improvise and are instrumental in their worship. I also was into the groups before mentioned in your og post and have found that true community and love is found in Jesus Christ and flow from his true followers. The scenes of the groups you mentioned offered a substitute for reality but it is conterfeit. True freedom and identity and purpose is in an individuals progressive relationship with the Almighty. Anyway if you need to chat email me at thewaybelove@hotmail.com. The groups I have found to be characteristic of your taste is the Selah Project saw them live 2 years ago-incredible experience! and Morningstar Worship title awake volume 1. You will enjoy the live recordings. Alright brother, peace http://store.morningstarministries.org/cgi-bin/morning/ES6-032.html

Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: zach] #54869 11/21/06 02:11 AM
NABSTER Offline
Disciple
Disciple
snippets sound pretty good. do they have a bunch of stuff, and is this the best of thier stuff for worship???
i think i am gonna get this one anyway to check it out.

Psalm 91
Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: thaartoflife] #55783 02/26/07 11:54 PM
E
edzo1234 Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
E
I was looking for a Christian Jam band too (For a long time and with No Luck!) But!!!! Deep down on this thread I found THE BAND!!!! (I know you will like them if you're into the dead, Phish, Marley, Strangefolk . The band is WATERDEEP!!!

You can download their albums right from their site. It is what you're looking for. www.waterdeep.com I laugh out loud when I listen because I am so happy I found them!

A friend of there's is also amazing but not quite a jam band...name Robbie Seay band.

Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: pamperedchefgirl] #55784 02/27/07 12:01 AM
E
edzo1234 Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
E
Rainbow, I believe you are looking for waterdeep (waterdeep.com) I found them through a thread way down below and I am hooked. (They aren't touring anymore-but then again Jerry's dead.) Waterdeep is great, long jams at times, awesome lyrics, really honest and great musicianship!

I hear everything y'all are saying about Jamming in worship. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free!

Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: thaartoflife] #56174 04/18/07 09:29 PM
M
manny Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
M
Hey Now Brothers and Sisters!

I am a Christian Jamhead and would like to start a Christian Jamband in Metro Atlanta Georgia. I have played latin percussion and sang in other jambands and thought it would be great to start one with like minded folks, although the band wouldn't necessarily have to be labeled in any specific way.

Please reply or email me if interested, or if you have any words of wisdom regarding the subject!

Your brother in Christ,

Manny G.

Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: manny] #56178 04/19/07 02:27 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Welcome Manny! wavey

I don't know of any musicians in Atlanta, but good luck on your new band and God Bless! thumbsup

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: cbrown] #56185 04/19/07 01:15 PM
M
manny Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
M
Hey Now Cbrown, You goin' to Athens Panic Show on the 24th by any chance?

Manny

Re: Christian Jam bands? [Re: manny] #56186 04/19/07 01:18 PM
M
manny Offline
Pharisee
Pharisee
M
Thanks Allen! I look forward to some cool threads on here.

God Bless,

Manny

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  embie, foreverchanged 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 279 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20