Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Seventeen Sex Survey #49744 01/20/03 07:28 AM
A
Ashley Offline OP

Disciple
OP Offline

Disciple
A
Seventeen Magazine (In conjunction with Kaiser Family Foundations) did a nationwide survey of 512 teenagers ages 15-17 in regards to sex. Here's some statistics (In the order they're posted in the magazine):

67% agree that it's usually the guy who makes the first move sexually

69% of guys think it's okay for girls to initiate sexual activity.

50% of girls think it's okay for girls to initiate sexual activity.

92% of teens say it's generally considered a good thing for a girl to be a virgin.

19% of teens say it's bad for a boy to be a virgin.

91% of teens report that a girl can get a bad repuation if she has sex.

42% say that a boy can get a bad rep for having sex.

42% of teens agreed that girls are more likely to be thought of as promiscuous than guys.

42% of girls say it's usually okay for boys to have a lot of sex partners but it's not okay for girls.

28% of boys agree.

89% of girls say their peers feel pressure from boys to have sex.

67% of boys say their peers feel pressure from other boys to have sex.

50% of teens say their peers feel pressure from girls.

69% of teens say it's the girl who says no to sex.

28% of guys say they'd date a girl for a month or less before having sex with them.

16% of girls agreed.

42% of guys said that oral sex isn't as big a deal as intercourse.

72% of girls think oral sex is a big deal.

(In 1999 48% told Seventeen that oral sex wasn't as big a deal)

63% of teens say it's the guy who usually brings the condom.

41% say it's the girl who brings up using the condom.

30% say girls and guys carry condoms equally often.

40% say it's both guys and girls who suggest using them.

60% of teens say that a girl who carries a condom look like she's expecting to have sex.

80% of teens say carrying a condom makes you seem prepared wheather you're a guy or a girl.

74% of boys say that guys their age are concerned about getting a girl pregnant.

61% of boys say guys their age are concerned about getting AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

92% of girls say girls their age worry about getting pregnant.

80% say they worry about getting STIs

32% of girls will have an unplanned pregnancy before they turn 20. (Statistic from National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy)

25% of sexually active teens get STIs every year. (Statistic from the Alan Guttmacher Institue, a nonprofit organization focused on reproductive health research policy and public education)

33% of teens knew the rate was that high.

"Do you not understand?" -Jesus
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49745 01/20/03 07:38 AM
Steve Offline
Disciple
Disciple
THAT is absolutely attrocious!! Look at the way they phrase things to try and make it look like it is OK

"92% of teens say it's generally considered a good thing for a girl to be a virgin.

19% of teens say it's bad for a boy to be a virgin."

Um that means that 81% think it is GOOD

"42% of girls say it's usually okay for boys to have a lot of sex partners but it's not okay for girls.

28% of boys agree."

which means that 58% of girls don't and 72% of boys disagree also!!!!!!

Oh I can't stnad to read the way they twisted the results, it has me crazy!! mad

"I'm part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made - I'm a disciple of HIS.
www.Real-Men.net
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49746 01/20/03 07:46 AM
embie Offline
Queen
Disciple
Queen
Disciple
That really is an awful survey. My daughter reads 17 (she's 13 eek ) and now I'm sorry I have let her.

What did you think of it Ashley?

When I don't measure up to much in this life, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ.
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49747 01/20/03 07:48 AM
A
Ashley Offline OP

Disciple
OP Offline

Disciple
A
Well... I don't think that was really the intention of the article.

Although 58% of girls think it's not okay for boys to have multiple sex partners, 42% is still a high number.

Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49748 01/20/03 07:50 AM
Steve Offline
Disciple
Disciple
On a side note now that I am a little less riled, If you take the time to really understand the results it says a lot of good things about teens and their overall impression of premarital sex. They (the magazine) should be ashamed of the way they twisted the appearance of it.

"I'm part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made - I'm a disciple of HIS.
www.Real-Men.net
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49749 01/20/03 07:51 AM
Steve Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I agree Ashley it is a high number, what amazed me in that line was what the boys said!

www.Real-Men.net
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49750 01/20/03 07:51 AM
A
Ashley Offline OP

Disciple
OP Offline

Disciple
A
I probably effed all this up. I should tell you that the article says a lot of good things and bad things about the statistics.

For example, under that particular one they say...

"But since boys agree that girls are more prone to getting a bad rep, maybe what they're saying here is that it's not okay for boys or girls to have a lot of sex partners."

Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49751 01/20/03 07:53 AM
Steve Offline
Disciple
Disciple
I don't think you messed it up at all. Most magazine editors KNOW that people will skim when they see data presented and the chance of them actually reading the text next to it is slim. I still contend, even in light of the text you put that they presented it that way on purpose.

www.Real-Men.net
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49752 01/20/03 07:57 AM
A
Ashley Offline OP

Disciple
OP Offline

Disciple
A
Embie, I think Twist is a good magazine for your daughter. It's aimed more to the younger teens, but still enjoyable.

You should know, however, that I subscribe to the four major teeny bopper magazines (Seventeen, Twist, Teen People, and YM) and all of them are pro-education--not proabstinance. Though it's very rare that Twist ever talks about sex (I've seen it twice in my two years of reading).

As for how I feel about the article: I'm not surprised in the least.

I had a conversation about sex with my mom just yesterday.

I told her that I'd like to save myself, but if I don't it's not gonna be just scrumpin' with any Joe. Some serious thought will be put into it. Afterall, losing your virginity is a big deal and isn't something you can take back. I want it to be worth doing. I told her that I've decided I won't have sex while I'm in highschool (I feel that's too young) and if I do it, that she'd never know about it. smile

Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49753 01/20/03 08:02 AM
Steve Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Well I for one am dang proud that you are willing to place value on yourself and something so intimate. You continually make me glad I know you!

www.Real-Men.net
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49754 01/20/03 08:02 AM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
heheh smile

Surveys and stats can say anything you want them to if you ask the question the right way...

"Do you still beat your wife?"

is an example. Doesn't matter how you answer, they'll interpret how they want as long as they continue to get the grant money to do more surveys.

Reading into it, it seems a lot of good things are to be said about the results... depends a lot on the survey itself and how scientific it was randomized... surveying 512 teenagers as they enter an abortion clinic will net you a different result from surveying 512 teenagers as they leave a 'true love waits' rally.

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49755 01/20/03 09:27 AM
JoshPet Offline
Ashley, it's cool you can have a conversation like that with your mom. A conversation like that is better than no communication and shows that you are an intelligent girl, thinking about what's best for you.

Ashley, you rock. smile

---JoshHappiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49756 01/20/03 08:31 PM
A
Ashley Offline OP

Disciple
OP Offline

Disciple
A
I must laugh because if you only knew how that conversation came about.

I was trying to convince my mother to let me attend a co-ed sleep over party. She declined because she's a good mother and said "A bunch of boys in a room with a girl isn't a good thing." I doubt very seriously that any of my friends would harm me in any way (if anything, it'd be me harming them), but I guess it's nice that she worries.

The only reason I can talk about sex with my mom is because she's so open about sex with me. It's quite disturbing at times--their jokes.

Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49757 01/20/03 09:10 PM
A
Ashley Offline OP

Disciple
OP Offline

Disciple
A
ACK! Same magazine, embarrassing moments...

"My friend had a coed sleepover party on New Years Eve. The guy I was crushing on was there, and I wanted to impress him. Everybody started doing handstands and when my turn came, I pulled into a perfect handstand even though I felt like I might fart. A few seconds later, I lost my balance trying to hold it in. When I got back on my feet, I finally farted! It was so loud, the room went silent. Then everyone erupted into laughter. My face turned bright red, but I just shrugged and said "Well, everybody farts..." -Lisa, 14, California

Hello? A 14 year old at a coed sleepover party? Now this is an issue. Where is the parenting?

Re: Seventeen Sex Survey #49758 01/21/03 07:24 AM
Steve Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Gone by the wayside!!

Coed sleepovers are the latest "rage" the parents seem to think that if the kids are in the house "they can at least be in a safe place" Same type of people who let the kids in my generation have these huge blowout parties where everyone got blind drunk and high, pregnant and STD'd out.

It is called irresponsibility. The parent either wants to be percieved as "cool" or they do not have the gumption to say no and lead a life by example. There is a greying in the line between parents and children. Most children/teens know at least one adult that they call by their first name. Sadly and rarely outside of the classroom is the title Mr. Mrs. or Ms. used anymore. These parents need to realize that they are called to be the parent, not the best friend of their kids, and that often requires the word NO.

www.Real-Men.net

Moderated by  embie, foreverchanged 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 263 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
E.L. Rivers
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20