Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2692 05/14/00 09:13 AM
Allen Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
You know, when I first began writing this guide for Christians to see movies with, I thought that maybe I am too easily entertained, that maybe I would never give a bad review to a movie, because somewhere in that 2-3 hour time, there is something entertaining, something useful to gain from plopping down my $6.75.

I do not think that anymore.

Let me first say that I am sorry for any typos in this message, for I am now dumber for watching this (as Dimitri would say) miserable excuse for a film...

Pre-movie hype said that the story was written by L.Ron Hubbard, of Dyanetics fame and the leader of the Church of Scientology. That most of the actors were Scientologists. Mr. Hubbard, you are not helping yourself, please stick to the fiction in your books... [Linked Image]

Think: "Planet of the Apes" meets "Independence Day"... without the talent.

Just when you think it is safe to start seeing John Travolta movies again, he gives it the old Vinnie Barbarino try in this stinker. Forrest Whittaker as his in-able sidekick, and Ms. Travolta (Kelly Preston) in her only scene in which her only redeeming quality is the length of her tongue [Linked Image] are really asking for the "Sinking like a Rock" award for their lifetime achievement bios...

ok... it wasn't all bad.

ummm...

I'm sorry, I lied, it was all bad. The special effects are passable, but "Planet of the Apes" and "Independence Day" (which this movie tries to emulate) were done better. You knew when the movie was about to get dramatic because the music got louder, much louder. The storyline was very predictable, definitely the result of a first time effort by a man with enough money to tell people to not rewrite it...

Rating:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] (out of a possible 5)

There isn't any nudity, sexual scenes, or bad language (tho the crowd cussed a little). The violence was mild and earned a PG-13 rating. I really cannot recommend you bring your parents or your kids to this one.

If you have the time, go see U-571 or Gladiator... much much better films.

------------------
Allen

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2693 05/14/00 09:23 AM
F
foreverchanged Offline
Disciple
Disciple
F
Wow! I've never heard Allen say anything bad about anything.... It must have been a horrible movie!!! [Linked Image]

-Michelle

The best laid plans are in my other pants. -- Newsboys
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2694 05/14/00 09:27 AM
Allen Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
OK.. maybe I am crabby... [Linked Image] I had to gulp down my food at Cheddar's so I wouldn't miss this one...

I hope to save some of you some money and time... [Linked Image]

------------------
Allen

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2695 05/14/00 09:32 AM
F
foreverchanged Offline
Disciple
Disciple
F
And we really appreciate it. We will know just to skip this one and chew our food all the way. [Linked Image]

-Michelle

Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2696 05/14/00 10:22 AM
Allen Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
See? It's working already...

------------------
Allen

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2697 05/15/00 02:42 AM
J
jesus_freak Offline
J
U-517 wasn't that bad although I could have lived with out the sub-titles! But then again, Allen has a thing for sub titles!! [Linked Image] just kiddin!

------------------
~JESUS_FREAK~

"Life is short, eternity is long...HOPE YA KNOW JESUS!!
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2698 05/25/00 11:52 PM
Q
Quentin Offline
Q
I didn't think the film was that bad, tho I have seen better. Travolta was amusing, in that he made the best of what he had to work with, let's face it, it wasn't Pulp Fiction material. I have always liked that Forrest Whitaker actor too, ever since his time in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
My main problem with the film was that the storyline was sooooo predictable. The writer had obviously borrowed, as Allen stated, from Planet of the Apes series with the apocalypse of the earth and all the buildings/ cities under rubble.
"Sure, I can learn to fly an F-16 in 7 days using this simulator, and I will do the maintenance on the jet to get it airworthy by then in my spare time - piece-a-cake." He made me think violent thoughts the 3rd time he said that.

OK, it was bad, at least we didn't have to put up with a lot of Scientology preaching, I would have asked for my money back and torched the theater then...

------------------
- Q T

- Q T
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2699 05/25/00 11:57 PM
Allen Offline OP
Disciple
OP Offline
Disciple
Hey Q! Thanks for visiting, and seeing my way of thinking... [Linked Image] We will get along real well if you keep that up [Linked Image]

Are you really from NY? I know a guy who runs an 80's site that lives there too - his name is Sal.

Anyways, thank you for coming, take off your shoes and sit a spell...

------------------
Allen

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2700 05/27/00 02:52 AM
F
foreverchanged Offline
Disciple
Disciple
F
See, stuff like this makes me realize how much I don't get out. The last movie I saw in the theatre was For the Love of the Game.... [Linked Image] How long ago was that??????

-Michelle

Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2701 05/28/00 08:29 AM
W
whit-Dawg Offline

Disciple

Disciple
W
Quentin,

Just wanted to say Whhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaattttttttsssssssss up or I guess "Yuse Guys" from NY say "How you Doin?" [Linked Image]

Anyway, let us know kinda whats happenin in the Big Apple. I was there about a year ago and loved it!!! The energy was incredible. Tell us some of your hobbies besides movies?

innerdawg

------------------

Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2702 05/28/00 08:38 AM
Q
Quentin Offline
Q
Thank you Dawg. I have quite a few interests, tho watching movies tends to keep me outta trouble, if you know what I am saying. [Linked Image] I am a new babe in Christ, so take it easy on me [Linked Image] I will make a little more formal intro in that new section I see was added this weekend.

This is a cool website, I will be around more often as I make the time.

------------------
- Q T

- Q T
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2703 05/28/00 09:29 AM
F
foreverchanged Offline
Disciple
Disciple
F
Hey QT! Nice to meet you ( sorta )... [Linked Image]

-Michelle

Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2704 06/01/00 12:40 AM
P
pepe' Offline
Disciple
Disciple
P
Yo QT! It be great to see you on here! How you doin!

Yep, BFE really was that bad.

------------------
pepe'

pepe'
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2705 06/01/00 12:49 AM
Q
Quentin Offline
Q
Hey everyone! I just got off work. Thanks for the welcoming, this is a cool place to hang out.
I hope to share more in the future, thank you guys for making me feel welcome.

------------------
- Q T

- Q T
Re: MovieLine: Battlefield Earth #2706 06/09/00 03:26 AM
L
Lex-Dex-Inc Offline

Disciple

Disciple
L
The only way "Battlefield earth" could have been any worse would be if Jar Jar Binks had made a guest appearance. Maybe John Travolta should do "Look who's Talking 35" to salvage his career.

To quote Jar Jar : "PeeeeYousssa!"

------------------

"You always have to remember - no matter what you're told - that God loves all the flowers, even the wild ones that grow on the side of the highway." --Cyndi Lauper

Moderated by  embie, foreverchanged 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 279 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20