Jesus answers prayer   prayer changes you
home | christian discussion forums | gallery | the.link newsletter | praise.cafe journals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Should all speak in tongues? #14255 05/22/00 09:16 PM
C
crucified_with_christ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey there,
Got a new topic for the week. I was wondering what you guys thought about the subject of speaking in tongues... should we all do it?

------------------
Until He Returns, I remain... About souls,
crucified_with_christ

crucified_with_christ
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14256 05/24/00 08:36 AM
D
David Offline
Disciple
Disciple
D
I believe there is a time and a place for it... the Bible speaks of speaking in tongues as evidence that we have been filled with the Holy Spirit, and that this "heavenly language" is good for our worship of Jesus. But, it also says that "speaking in tongues" is a hollow experience if we don't have love (1 Corinthians 13:1 (English-NIV)).

We must also consider the audience (1 Corinthians 14). If we are worshipping with "an audience of one", then yes, it is perfectly good to speak tongues, but Paul says it is much better to prophecy if there are others around because then everyone benefits..."Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church."
quote:

There is much more said about this in that chapter, check it out here ...

Another thing to consider is the end of that chapter:
quote:

If your ministry is to a cross-section of the Christian population (some of which do not believe in speaking in tongues), speaking in tongues may not be considered a "fitting and orderly" thing to do... it is not essential to your message and will keep some people from listening to what you do have to say...

Let the flames begin...

------------------
- David
- http://www.truckwerks.com/

- David
- Consider the daffodil, and while you are doing that, I'll be over here going through your stuff.
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14257 05/25/00 09:39 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Well said...
So, with the formalities taken care of (ex. where we should speak in tongues) -- Should all believers speak in tongues?

------------------
crucified_with_christ

crucified_with_christ
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14258 05/28/00 08:16 AM
D
David Offline
Disciple
Disciple
D
Tongues, as stated in the Bible, is the evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, tho a lot of believers will argue otherwise. I think speaking in tongues, at least in your personal prayer time, is definitely a good thing, as it is perfect communication between your sprit and God.

I do not think speaking in tongues makes you more eligible for heaven, but probably more likely to get there... [Linked Image]

------------------
- David

- David
- Consider the daffodil, and while you are doing that, I'll be over here going through your stuff.
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14259 05/29/00 04:54 AM
V
virtuous101 Offline
V
I think having a prayer language is awesome. My explanation of a prayer language is a language between you and God. It is one that Satan cannot understand.

virtuous101

------------------

Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14260 05/29/00 05:50 AM
F
foreverchanged Offline
Disciple
Disciple
F
ICorinthians 14:5
I wish you all spoke with tounges, but even more that you prophesied...

I agree that speaking in tounges is an awesome way to communicate with God, but the Bible does not say that it is a required facet of Christianity.

As David said in his earlier post, tounges is for an audience of ONE unless, as it goes on to say at the end of vs 5, you can interpret tounges. Tongues are used for OUR benifit (v.4) whereas other gifts such as prophesy are used for the benifit of the church.
However, the greatest of any of these is still love (ch.13 v.4) Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. Ch.14 v.1 PURSUE love and DESIRE spiritual gifts...

-Michelle

The best laid plans are in my other pants. -- Newsboys
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14261 05/29/00 08:40 AM
D
David Offline
Disciple
Disciple
D
Amen Forever, what you said. That filled in the blank spots I had left out.

What do you think, Cruce?

------------------
- David

- David
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14262 05/29/00 10:14 PM
F
fOrGivEn_By_GrAcE Offline

crazy white girl

crazy white girl
F
I believe speaking in tongues is an awesome way to communicate with God, but I think only certain people have the gift of speaking in tongues. Just like someone who can sing or play an instrument,or be an evangelist, speaking in tongues is also a gift. Maybe im wrong, but i have never heard someone speak in tongues nor have i ever been able to do it myself. as far as a prayer language, i think its an incredible if you can speak to God in tongues. It's makes your relationship much more personal. But i also think that just talking to God is also intimate. If you talk to him like you would a best friend, its makes God seem more real to you.
Amber

------------------

Amber
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14263 05/30/00 07:33 AM
C
OP Offline
C
quote:

Speaking in tongues IS A SUPERNATURAL GIFT FROM ABBA, FATHER.

I am under the utmost persuasion that it is available for ANY BELIEVER.

I believe that if you are a Christian that you should speak in tongues. I don't believe speaking in tongues is what gets you to Heaven but the Bible does teach that no one that is not born again can or will speak in tongues unless of course they become born again and recieve the infilling (baptism) of the Holy Spirit w/ evidence of speaking of tongues. Speaking in tongues is a sign of the seal of God on your life and an assurance that you are saved. But the Bible also teaches that our spirits testify that we are saved--there is an innerwitness. You do not have to speak in tongues to know that you are saved. But if you do speak in tongues, you can rest in that assurance.

Many people often ask, "Why should I speak in tongues?" My reply would have to be "Why not speak in tongues?" It is from God-- and He is a giver of ONLY GOOD AND PERFECT GIFTS!!! So that tells me that tongues are definately a gift that the Father desires we all have. Speaking in tongues is only for believers. Just like one believed to accept salvation--it is that easy to believe and recieve the free gift of speaking in tongues by the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Again, speaking in tongues IS NOT a requirement to enter into Heaven, but it does many, many things for the believer (speaking of one on One prayer and communication w/ God).

Some of those benefits are supernatural rest, a supernatural energizing, the power not only to witness but to BE A WITNESS, power, self-edification, the building of your most Holy faith, you magnify God in a Heavenly language, when you don't know how or what to pray--the Holy Spirit intercedes for you through you, and the list goes on and on and on...

Wow! Why would anyone not desire this experience.

For any of you who read this message that have not spoke in tongues and are wondering if it is for you...

I quote Luke 11:9-13
"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks recieves, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father GIVE the HOLY SPIRIT TO THOSE WHO ASK HIM!"

You see it is not that we have to speak in tongues-- it is that we get to!

------------------
crucified_with_christ

crucified_with_christ
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14264 05/30/00 08:21 AM
W
whit-Dawg Offline

Disciple

Disciple
W
I think that speaking in tongues is a gimme--We as humans do not realize that the answers are so simple that we pass them up everyday. Speaking in tongues is a gift that God gives us to speak directly to Him.

Check it out... If satan can attack our physical man and plant seeds of discord in our heads anytime he wants to...and before you say what do you mean whenever he wants to...remember that satan even tempted Jesus' physical man 3 times.

God in His infinate wisdom gave us a prayer language that both us and satan can't interfere with. We can pray in it without trying to sound good or right--as if God doesn't know what we already need before we ask Him. We think by sounding good in front of "the people" that we are being christian--yet I would submit that God already knows what we need and if we begin to talk out of the side of our head saying things that are not true in our hearts then God will turn down His volume.

Don't you have those people in your life that everytime you see them they say the same thing over and over again and you know that they don't mean it ever. What do you do to them? Don't you think God does the same thing when we are lying to Him?

Tongues is also great because of the fact that satan can not understand what we are talking to God about because it is not part of our mind. The physical man can't register anything for satan to pull up and attack because this is language reserved for the spirit man.

Now should everyone speak in tongues?---I guess that is up to them. should everyone utilize computers? I don't know, but it sure makes my life easier!!

I talk to DaD on the private, no waiting, direct access line because He says that I can and I trust that if I pray with a "true heart" and I am not just rambling to ramble, that God will know exactly what I am talking about and He will give me the desires of my heart.

innerdawg

------------------

Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14265 05/31/00 04:37 AM
F
fOrGivEn_By_GrAcE Offline

crazy white girl

crazy white girl
F
I understand what all of you are saying but I have no clue how to go about speaking in tongues.like i said before, i have never been able nor heard anyone do it so im completely confused. I know this would probably be something that I would go to the Father for but i just want to know if any of you have ever spoken in tongues? Somebody let me know if you have, and if so how did it come about. Thanks!
Amber

------------------

Amber
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14266 05/31/00 09:24 AM
W
whit-Dawg Offline

Disciple

Disciple
W
I just told God "Ok I'm just going to begin to say what ever comes out of my mouth--but know that I do it not to sound neat but because I truely feel I am talking to you."

then let er rip

Sometimes it's just one note and sometimes it flows for days...

Just remember, if you begin to worry if what you are mumbling sounds impressive--- stop because you are in the physical. If your brain is thinking about it then you are not trusting in your "spirit language"

innerdawg

------------------

Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14267 05/31/00 05:29 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I too speak in tongues...daily. It is soooo powerful. As Paul said, "I pray in the spirit and I pray with my understanding, I sing in the spirit and I sing with my understanding."
quote:

All you have to do is ask and believe. It is a FREE GIFT. God will fill you with His Holy Spirit and you will utter in the tongues of angels. Do not doubt. Ask believing and then THANK HIM for it even if you see no initial evidence. If you began to speak in other tongues and don't understand that is okay, you aren't suppose to. If you don't...keep believing and thanking God. He WILL GIVE IT TO YOU! Ask and recieve, seek and find, and knock--cause God will open. He is Your Father and desires to give you His gifts.

------------------
crucified_with_christ

crucified_with_christ
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14268 06/04/00 09:10 PM
L
lightbulb4hm Offline
L
quote:

very cool.

------------------
follow God.

follow God.
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14269 06/05/00 07:13 AM
N
Nobody Offline
N
Hi... Nobody was just browsing and has a curiosity question - where is all this coming from about a special prayer language that Satan can't understand? You say it is in the Bible -- where? I read I Corinthians 14 and didn't see it there. In fact, it says in verse 22 that tongues are not for believers at all! It is a sign for unbelievers! How can that be if they can't understand? I've heard pagan cult rituals that sounded exactly the same to me, how can I tell the difference?

------------------

Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14270 06/06/00 06:18 PM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
That verse is saying that it isn't a sign for believers, they already know/ share in the power of the Holy Spirit, it is a sign for the unbelievers as in the book of Acts, 2nd chapter...

------------------
Allen

- Allen [Linked Image]
- I don't need things, I need people - mb © 2002
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14271 06/06/00 09:01 PM
N
Nobody Offline
N
I read in Acts 2:4-6 that it says they spoke in other tongues, and everyone heard in their own language.
In one place people speak in tongues and everyone understands, but in I Corinthians 14 no one understands without an interpreter. Are there two different kinds of speaking in tongues?

------------------

Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14272 06/06/00 10:01 PM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
read a little further in Acts, where the crowds overhear those in the upper room all speaking in the crowd's own particular language... this is a case where some did understand what was being said, because it was spoken in their own native tongue, and not the Hebrew of the people speaking it... I may not be explaining very clearly...

Those in the upper room ( I remember it being ~120 people) were Jewish people who spoke in Hebrew. When they were filled with the Holy Spirit, they spoke in a language unknown to them, but known by the foreigners outside who heard them.... this was a sign to the unbelievers that the 120's worship wasn't some man-made event...

------------------
Allen

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14273 06/06/00 10:05 PM
Allen Offline
Disciple
Disciple
Oh yeah, Corinthians speaks of "speaking in tongues" as good for self-edification, because it isn't a man-made (with man-made hang-ups and obstacles) worship... it is direct communion. But because people around you do not know what you are saying, it is better to prophecy so that they have understanding...

am I talking in circles? I get off on a tangent and do not always come back to my main point...

------------------
Allen

- Allen [Linked Image]
Re: Should all speak in tongues? #14274 06/06/00 10:48 PM
N
Nobody Offline
N
Yes, you repeated very well what I just read...
In one place the people around understood
In the other they don't, but they are told to have an interpreter
So again I ask, is this two different gifts?

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  foreverchanged, Steve 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 279 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Latest Posts
Disciple Gear
Featured Photos
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20