Hello everyone, thank you for such a great place to discuss current issues in Christian life.

If I may, I'd like to start a topic I don't see much of in my local paper or on the news - this will read something like "news of the weird" but be about issues and events I see around the world. If this isn't the correct forum, please, moderator, move it to the correct one smile

Something I was reading just now struck a nerve hard enough to make me register and post about it:

I have no relation to reality. I am talking about how things should be. In this interview on memri.tv (Arab TV) a sheik from Egypt is being interviewed regarding female sexuality and Islam. Money quote:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
In Egypt we have four and a half million spinsters. The definition of a spinster is a woman who has reached 30, without ever receiving a marriage proposal. We have a spinster problem in the Arab world, and the last thing we want is for them to be sexually aroused. Circumcision of the girls who need it makes them chaste, dignified, and pure.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In a religion where "honor killing" is still common-place :gag:, we still see attitudes from the dark ages. At what point do women's movements see the need to stand up to the repression, brutality, bigotry and torture of millions of women?

Things that make you go "hhmmm..."

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

~ Martin Luther King, Jr.